When the firebug window is minimized and the tab is refreshed... some problems

Bernard Tremblay

Oct 24, 2016, 5:44:44 AM10/24/16
to Firebug
Hi,

When the firebug window is minimized and the tab is refreshed...It is re-opened but some problems :

It is not reopened on the same state : you have minimized in script mode, you get it back :  on element (HTML) display while the  "menu tab highlighted" remains "script".

  1. When reopened  automatically (because script have breakpoints...) you get a quick message "already opened" ??

  2. If there was in the script a breakpoint in executed sequence of script it will stop but doesn't show where...
    (you need to understand and find "manually" where it is stopped because there is no an automatic "locate and show" "active breakpoint on which script is stopped", nor a manual command (don't forget the circonstances upon).
    Then if you have several 10,000 lines to seek, you need to identify where it is stopped and go manually to the point after selecting the good script... and after by seeking breakpoint - not listed in this case- into code with a scroll - no find active...)
 This point is partially common with Google Chrome inspector : the lack of a command to go to the point where the script is stopped. With Chrome this happens when you scroll up or down into script for analyze and need to return to the current point without executing anything.

When this is combined with my previous thread about the reopen on a second screen this is terrible.

Best regards

Trebly

Note : I have used Firebug with Firefox since to origins (12 or 15 years). But recently I had to work with Google Chrome in first level of development. I have recently gone back to Firebug for the tests of the application with FireFox.

Sebastian Zartner

Oct 25, 2016, 2:54:29 AM10/25/16
to Firebug
On Monday, October 24, 2016 at 11:44:44 AM UTC+2, Bernard Tremblay wrote:
Hi,

When the firebug window is minimized and the tab is refreshed...It is re-opened but some problems :

It is not reopened on the same state : you have minimized in script mode, you get it back :  on element (HTML) display while the  "menu tab highlighted" remains "script".

I'm not sure what you mean with "menu tab highlighted". Note that Firebug uses some special terminology for the different UI parts.
  1. When reopened  automatically (because script have breakpoints...) you get a quick message "already opened" ??
Using Firebug 2.0.18 I cannot reproduce this, but I assume that message is the default, which is then replaced by the actual contents.
  1. If there was in the script a breakpoint in executed sequence of script it will stop but doesn't show where...
    (you need to understand and find "manually" where it is stopped because there is no an automatic "locate and show" "active breakpoint on which script is stopped", nor a manual command (don't forget the circonstances upon).
    Then if you have several 10,000 lines to seek, you need to identify where it is stopped and go manually to the point after selecting the good script... and after by seeking breakpoint - not listed in this case- into code with a scroll - no find active...)
This is also not reproducible for me. The Script panel always jumps to the right position within the script. But even if it doesn't, just click the topmost item in the Stack side panel or the leftmost within the Stack Frame Path to get to the line within the script.

 This point is partially common with Google Chrome inspector : the lack of a command to go to the point where the script is stopped. With Chrome this happens when you scroll up or down into script for analyze and need to return to the current point without executing anything.

Chrome's DevTools also allow you to jump between the call stack frames by clicking the related entry within its Call Stack panel.

Note : I have used Firebug with Firefox since to origins (12 or 15 years). But recently I had to work with Google Chrome in first level of development. I have recently gone back to Firebug for the tests of the application with FireFox.

You're obviously a Firebug user from the first hour. Though note that Firebug got merged into the Firefox DevTools since Firefox 48 and Firebug 2 stops working once multi-process Firefox is enabled. Active development on Firebug as an extension is given up in favor of putting more effort into the Firefox DevTools. So I suggest you give those tools a try.

Sebastian