Re: Firebug missing from add-on bar in popup window (again)

Jan Honza Odvarko

Jul 18, 2012, 11:55:03 AM7/18/12
to Firebug
Yep, this problem has been already reported and we are looking
for the right solution.

For the time being, if you press F12 or open page context menu
and pick "Inspect Element with Firebug" you should be able to
open Firebug UI (even if there is no icon).

Does this work for you?

Honza

On Jul 18, 5:41 pm, Deirdre H <deird...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I am using Firefox 14 and Firebug 1.10.0.
>
> Back in Firefox 10/11, there was an issue with the firebug icon
> disappearing from the add-on bar in popup windows. The solution for that
> problem was to set the option extensions.firebug.showStatusIcon to true in
> about: config. Then the need for that configuration option disappeared with
> Firefox 12.
>
> Firefox automatically upgraded itself to version 14 yesterday, and again,
> the firebug icon is gone from the add-on bar on popup windows. Since popup
> windows don't have a tool bar by default and I work in a web application
> environment where the f keys are overridden, this means that again, firebug
> is again not accessible to us on popup windows without hacking on the
> application. The solution from Firefox 10/11 is doing nothing.
>
> Turning it on for all web pages work, but if you forget and accidentally
> close it on a popup window there's no way to reopen it without respawning
> the popup.
>
> Anyone seen any other solution? We need the icon on the add-on bar in popup
> windows.
>
> Thanks.

Deirdre H

Jul 18, 2012, 12:31:14 PM7/18/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, not really within our application without hacking on some things. F12 is assigned to something else, and right-click is disabled.

We have solutions from the last time around (before we discovered the showStatusIcon solution) but they are clunky. I have been forcing the toolbar to appear on the test systems I've been working on today.

Is it a firebug 1.10 issue or a firefox 14 issue? I can tell our developers to downgrade one or the other for now too. I just haven't had the time to test out what might be the best solution.

Thanks.

Sebastian Zartner

Jul 18, 2012, 2:22:41 PM7/18/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Unfortunately, not really within our application without hacking on some things. F12 is assigned to something else, and right-click is disabled.
You can also change the shortcut to something else via Firebug Menu > Customize Shortcuts.

Sebastian

Deirdre H

Jul 18, 2012, 3:28:24 PM7/18/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
The temporary solution we've come up with is that if we downgrade firebug to 1.9.2 (even though it doesn't show it's supported in firefox 14) and have showStatusIcon set to true, we get the addon bar icon back in Firefox 14. I've warned all the developers who I've helped do this to be on the lookout for any oddities in firebug behavior but it seems to be working for everyone at the moment.

Harutyun Amirjanyan

Jul 18, 2012, 6:50:40 PM7/18/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
chromeclass-toolbar-additional class on
https://github.com/firebug/firebug/blob/master/extension/content/firebug/firefox/browserOverlay.js#L180
causes this. is it needed for anything else?

for testing run
window.open("", "newwin", "height=250, width=250,toolbar=no,scrollbars=no,menubar=no");

Sebastian Zartner

Jul 19, 2012, 12:59:04 AM7/19/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info, Harutyun.
I changed it on my local repo and testing it right now. I created issue 5711 for this.
When I don't see any conflicts, I'll commit the change.

Sebastian

Sebastian Zartner

Jul 19, 2012, 7:06:52 AM7/19/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I attached a test build at issue 5711.

Deirdre H, could you please try it out and let us know if it works for you?

Sebastian

Deirdre H

Jul 19, 2012, 4:12:33 PM7/19/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
That appears to work beautifully--the icon is back and Firebug is responding. Although it may have become something of a moot point for the moment. About half our developers have had to downgrade Firefox 14 back to 13 in the past two days because of extreme stability issues.

Thanks.

Sebastian Zartner

Jul 19, 2012, 6:06:16 PM7/19/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
That appears to work beautifully--the icon is back and Firebug is responding.
Great. Thanks for the feedback!

Although it may have become something of a moot point for the moment. About half our developers have had to downgrade Firefox 14 back to 13 in the past two days because of extreme stability issues.
When there are Firefox crashes, let the Mozilla guys know about them by sending them crash reports and reporting them in Bugzilla (if they are not reported already).
From our perspective you have the chance to test the change of issue 5711 in FF 13 and 14. So this bad circumstances also have something good.

Sebastian

Jan Honza Odvarko

Jul 20, 2012, 10:36:48 AM7/20/12
to Firebug
Are there any other stability issues except of Firefox crashes?
Honza

On Jul 20, 12:06 am, Sebastian Zartner <sebastianzart...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> > That appears to work beautifully--the icon is back and Firebug is
> > responding.
>
> Great. Thanks for the feedback!
>
> > Although it may have become something of a moot point for the moment.
> > About half our developers have had to downgrade Firefox 14 back to 13 in
> > the past two days because of extreme stability issues.
>
> When there are Firefox crashes, let the Mozilla guys know about them by sending
> them crash reports<http://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/Mozilla%20Crash%20Reporter>and reporting them in Bugzilla
> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/>(if they are not reported already).
> From our perspective you have the chance to test the change of issue 5711<http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=5711>in FF 13 and 14. So this bad circumstances also have something good.
>
> Sebastian

Jan Honza Odvarko

Oct 17, 2012, 12:05:42 PM10/17/12
to Firebug
On Oct 17, 4:40 pm, Julian Young <yulian.j...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Seems like this issue may have returned in 1.10 using Firefox 16.0.1

Firebug test build here:
http://code.google.com/p/fbug/issues/detail?id=5949#c14
should fix the problem.

Please let us know if it works for you.

The patch will be included in Firebug 1.10.5 released next week.

Honza