Customize debugger keyboard shortcuts?

Lawrence San

May 17, 2016, 3:27:25 PM5/17/16
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Firebug's main keyboard shortcuts for JS debugging seem to be the same for Mac and Windows:

f8 = Continue
f10 = Step Over
f11 = Step Into
Shift-f11 = Step Out

I'd like to change these to different fkeys, but Firebug's "Customize Shortcuts" dialog doesn't seem to include those items. The Key Binding Mechanism description doesn't seem to help either.

I might be able to force the change via a key-macro utility operating on a lower system level than FF/Firebug, but that tends to get messy in my experience. Is there any way I can change the core debugger keyboard shortcuts inside FF/Firebug itself?
Thanks.

Sebastian Zartner

May 17, 2016, 5:53:24 PM5/17/16
to Firebug
Currently not possible. See issue #2665.

Sebastian

Lawrence San

May 17, 2016, 9:12:17 PM5/17/16
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the link. Apparently lots of other people would also like to customize the debugger keys. There are some suggestions here for using about:config for that purpose, but when I enter them in the filter box, the page is blank -- not surprising I guess since those suggestions date back to 2008. Are there any current about:config equivalents?

Another possibility might be to use one of the FF extensions that modify key shortcuts, such as Dorando keyconfig or Keybinder. Has anybody tried to modify the debugger keys with either of them, or some other extension?

Sebastian Zartner

May 18, 2016, 3:29:40 AM5/18/16
to Firebug

On Wednesday, May 18, 2016 at 3:12:17 AM UTC+2, San wrote:
Thanks for the link. Apparently lots of other people would also like to customize the debugger keys. There are some suggestions here for using about:config for that purpose, but when I enter them in the filter box, the page is blank -- not surprising I guess since those suggestions date back to 2008. Are there any current about:config equivalents?

If there were some, I would have told you so. So, no, in Firebug 2.0.x there is no integrated way to change the debugger shortcuts. Note that there is a list of shortcut preferences in the wiki.

Another possibility might be to use one of the FF extensions that modify key shortcuts, such as Dorando keyconfig or Keybinder. Has anybody tried to modify the debugger keys with either of them, or some other extension?

I quickly tried Dorando keyconfig and it worked for me!
What you have to do is to add new shortcuts in its configuration dialog and assign the related commands to them.

Example:
To add a new shortcut for the Resume button click Add a new key, give it a meaningful name and paste the following into the code field:

Firebug.Debugger.resume(Firebug.currentContext)

Then click OK and assign the related shortcut.

Note: This does not replace the existing shortcuts! It only adds a new shortcut for the action.

Sebastian