CSS Tab Source Edit

bsmither

May 4, 2016, 1:09:30 PM5/4/16
to Firebug
Firebug: 2.0.15, Firefox: 44.02

I have observed on the CSS Panel, having chosen CSS file to inspect, if that file is malformed, the panel displays:
"There are no rules. You can create a rule."

If I then enable "Source Edit", there is simply an empty line 1.

However, the file is not empty!

On the Net Panel, I expand the GET request for that CSS file and look on the Response tab.

The malformation is where the first line starts a block comment, and which is never terminated correctly:
/* You can add custom rules here *
.custom_1 { color: green; }

I would expect to see the above code in the CSS Panel, Source Edit enabled, but that is not the case.

Erik Krause

May 4, 2016, 5:21:36 PM5/4/16
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Am 04.05.2016 um 19:09 schrieb bsmither:
> /* You can add custom rules here *
> .custom_1 { color: green; }
>
> I would expect to see the above code in the CSS Panel, Source Edit enabled,
> but that is not the case.

Firebug doesn't read and see the actual CSS file but the CSS like
interpreted by firefox. In your case there is a comment only, and
comments are stripped by firefox. Also see https://getfirebug.com/faq ->
CSS panel

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

bsmither

May 4, 2016, 7:13:57 PM5/4/16
to Firebug
"Also see https://getfirebug.com/faq ->CSS panel"

A link on that FAQ points to: Source Edit Mode:
https://getfirebug.com/wiki/index.php/CSS_Panel#Source_Edit

So, while your assertion is valid for any other view of the CSS, I maintain my observation for Source Edit Mode. (However, I have observed this from only one source while I was troubleshooting an issue. I have not attempted to make an intentional, repeatable test case.)

Sebastian Zartner

May 5, 2016, 4:42:03 AM5/5/16
to Firebug
It's obviously a bug in Firebug, so feel free to report it in the related GitHub issue tracker.
Two notes, though:
  1. You can at least see that the CSS is invalid within the Console panel (with enabled Show CSS Errors option).
  2. Firebug 3 will integrate into the Firefox DevTools, which don't have that error. I.e. they show you the invalid CSS in their Style Editor, which makes it unlikely to be fixed for Firebug 2.

Sebastian