Firefox Developer Tools with JAWS and NVDA screen readers since Firebug is no longer developed?

Walker, Michael E

Jul 29, 2017, 11:45:43 AM7/29/17
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I have been searching for days for information on how to use the Firefox Developer Tools with the latest JAWS for Windows by Freedom Scientific screen reader, and NVDA by NV Access. I also posted this question to their mailing lists and official support, but still no answer. I came across this group, after searching through the Firebug Accessibility Wiki. It seems that the Firebug Community cares about accessibility, based on the documentation I saw in the wiki. However, I have not found a way to enable accessibility in the Firefox Developer Tools. If information cannot be found through a Google search, will you please point me to the documentation or a community that discusses Firefox Developer Tools accessibility? Does Mozilla plan to roll Firebug's accessibility functionality over into the Firefox Developer Tools? If not, why not?

Thanks,
Mike

Walker, Michael E

Jul 29, 2017, 11:45:43 AM7/29/17
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I have been searching for days for information on how to use the Firefox Developer Tools with the latest JAWS for Windows by Freedom Scientific screen reader, and NVDA. I came across this group, after searching through the Firebug Accessibility Wiki. It seems that the Firebug Community cares about accessibility, based on the documentation I saw in the wiki. However, I have not found a way to enable accessibility in the Firefox Developer Tools. If information cannot be found through a Google search, will you please point me to the documentation or a community that discusses Firefox Developer Tools accessibility? Does Mozilla plan to roll Firebug's accessibility functionality over into the Firefox Developer Tools? If not, why not?

Thanks,
Mike

Sebastian Zartner

Jul 30, 2017, 4:27:04 AM7/30/17
to Firebug, michael....@boeing.com
On Saturday, July 29, 2017 at 5:45:43 PM UTC+2, Walker, Michael E wrote:
Hi, I have been searching for days for information on how to use the Firefox Developer Tools with the latest JAWS for Windows by Freedom Scientific screen reader, and NVDA by NV Access. I also posted this question to their mailing lists and official support, but still no answer.

To which mailing lists and official support did you post?

I came across this group, after searching through the Firebug Accessibility Wiki. It seems that the Firebug Community cares about accessibility, based on the documentation I saw in the wiki.

Note that Firebug is officially discontinued.

However, I have not found a way to enable accessibility in the Firefox Developer Tools. If information cannot be found through a Google search, will you please point me to the documentation or a community that discusses Firefox Developer Tools accessibility? Does Mozilla plan to roll Firebug's accessibility functionality over into the Firefox Developer Tools? If not, why not?

As far as I know, there is no community discussing specifically the accessibility of the Firefox Developer Tools but there is the general IRC channel #accessibility for discussing accessibility in Mozilla products. There are also several related bugs filed already, though I think the DevTools rather target to implement accessibility directly, without a separate "accessibility mode".

Best regards,

Sebastian

PS: Note that this mailing list is mostly abandoned due to the discontinuation of the Firebug project. If you want to contact the DevTools people, I suggest you write them via their IRC channel.