A way to make Firebug 1.12.x compatible with Firefox 30+

otro....@gmail.com

May 19, 2016, 6:13:46 AM5/19/16
to Firebug
Hello,

 I have been using Firebug + Firefox for years in a considerable big project, but when Firebug moved to 2.0 everything broke, all features were extremely slow for me: just adding breakpoints took seconds, searching for script files was close to impossible, etc so I decided to stay in 1.12 + Firefox 24, the thing is I have reached a point where I am unable to continuing do so, there is JS code that does not work in FF 24 but works in later versions so I am being finally forced to move, I gave a try to Firefox 45 + Firebug  2.0.16 and it is still the same If not worst, totally unusable, so before I move to Chrome I would like to try a couple things so some questions:

- Is there a way to make Firebug 1.12.x work with latest versions of FF ?
   I tried just changing the  install.rdf to include support up to 48 but that is not enough and Firebug does not launch, is there any code specifically that is not compatible? or, is there a list or documentation with the parts of Firebug that are not compatible?

- If it is not possible to make Firebug 1.12 work, is there a way to remove the "window" variable in the script panel from the watch list?
   This may not be enough but one of my primary suspects of why Firebug is unusable is the  whole window dom is loaded so I would like to try removing it.

- Any other tips to improve performance?

Jan Honza Odvarko

May 19, 2016, 6:19:51 AM5/19/16
to Firebug

On Thursday, May 19, 2016 at 12:13:46 PM UTC+2, otro....@gmail.com wrote:
Hello,

 I have been using Firebug + Firefox for years in a considerable big project, but when Firebug moved to 2.0 everything broke, all features were extremely slow for me: just adding breakpoints took seconds, searching for script files was close to impossible, etc so I decided to stay in 1.12 + Firefox 24, the thing is I have reached a point where I am unable to continuing do so, there is JS code that does not work in FF 24 but works in later versions so I am being finally forced to move, I gave a try to Firefox 45 + Firebug  2.0.16 and it is still the same If not worst, totally unusable, so before I move to Chrome I would like to try a couple things so some questions:

- Is there a way to make Firebug 1.12.x work with latest versions of FF ?
Sorry, no. Firebug 1.12 depends on JSD (Javascript Debugger API) that have been removed from Firefox long time ago.

   I tried just changing the  install.rdf to include support up to 48 but that is not enough and Firebug does not launch, is there any code specifically that is not compatible? or, is there a list or documentation with the parts of Firebug that are not compatible?

- If it is not possible to make Firebug 1.12 work, is there a way to remove the "window" variable in the script panel from the watch list?
This might be possible, but the question is: "Can you use Firefox built-in tools and if not, why?"

Honza

otro....@gmail.com

May 19, 2016, 11:29:09 AM5/19/16
to Firebug
Hi Honza, thanks for your answer.

> Sorry, no. Firebug 1.12 depends on JSD (Javascript Debugger API) that have been removed from Firefox long time ago.
I see, too bad.. thanks for the info.

>This might be possible, but the question is: "Can you use Firefox built-in tools and if not, why?"
Yes I absolutely can, either that or use Chrome built-in tools but I am quite accustomed to Firebug so I was trying to look for a way to continue using it but if there is no other alternative I will need to do that.

Thanks.