Not sure what it's called but it no longer works

emper...@gmail.com

Oct 21, 2014, 3:02:03 PM10/21/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com
When on a web page i use to be able to open firebug and mess around with the css, including adding elements. Now while you can still edit some css you can no longer add elements.

I used to go to the last element and then Tab through and it would automatically add a new one to create the new element.

Is this temporary problem, gone for good????  It was to me by far the most useful tool to see how something would look quickly.

Help?

Lawrence San

Oct 21, 2014, 9:44:21 PM10/21/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I just tried it (current version of Mac Firefox and Firebug). I can still add elements by tabbing from the last element, or by double-clicking on the final semicolon. This works in both HTML pane's "Style" side-panel, and in the CSS pane. I checked it both on a page served from my own local/devel Apache, and on this page (in gmail). Works in both.

Sebastian Zartner

Oct 23, 2014, 7:15:52 PM10/23/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com
mess around with the css, including adding elements.
If you mean adding CSS rules by "adding elements" then Lawrence is right regarding the CSS panel. Within the Style side panel you can add a new rule by right-clicking into it and choosing Add Rule... from the context menu.
And if you want to add new HTML elements, you can do this within the Edit mode of the HTML panel.

Sebastian

Lawrence San

Oct 23, 2014, 10:15:22 PM10/23/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Ah, I guess I misread "adding elements" to mean "adding attributes". I tab to add a new attribute/value pair within an existing element. I never noticed those right-click options before. The "Add Rule..." makes sense to me: it creates a new rule for 'body' with blank braces, where I can change 'body' to any element name, and insert whatever rules I want.

However, I don't understand the right-click "Add Element Style..." option. It creates this:

element.style {
    ;
}

What's that for? I can put rules into the braces, but it won't let me change the words "element" or "style". What's up with that? What good is a rule attached to (literally) "element.style"?

Sebastian Zartner

Oct 24, 2014, 4:11:13 AM10/24/14
to fir...@googlegroups.com
On Friday, October 24, 2014 4:15:22 AM UTC+2, San wrote:
Ah, I guess I misread "adding elements" to mean "adding attributes". I tab to add a new attribute/value pair within an existing element. I never noticed those right-click options before.
Then you should right-click more often. :-) There are plenty of features available via context menu throughout Firebug.

The "Add Rule..." makes sense to me: it creates a new rule for 'body' with blank braces, where I can change 'body' to any element name, and insert whatever rules I want.

However, I don't understand the right-click "Add Element Style..." option. It creates this:

element.style {
    ;
}

What's that for?
This "rule" represents the inline styles applied to the element via the style attribute. See the Style side panel documentation.

Sebastian