How do I disable the HTML tag hover popup?

dhollings

Feb 1, 2012, 12:29:42 PM2/1/12
to Firebug
Whenever I expand a tag and start reading the inner tags, the tag path
popup obscures the inner code. This is really annoying and I couldn't
find a way to disable this. It's really something I would rarely use.

Jan Honza Odvarko

Feb 3, 2012, 9:20:59 AM2/3/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Not sure what you mean, but could it be:

Firebug menu -> Options -> Show Quick Info Box

?

Honza

Erik Krause

Feb 3, 2012, 9:37:28 AM2/3/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com

For me it only pops up if I move the mouse after expanding. If it pops
up, it disappears when I move the mouse away from the tag...

--
Erik Krause
http://www.erik-krause.de

Sebo

Feb 3, 2012, 6:44:29 PM2/3/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
You're talking about the tooltip including the XPath and the namespace of the tag. This tooltip also appears when hovering the twisty, but it should just appear when you over the tag name inside the HTML panel.
Erik, please note, that we have a specific Firebug terminology. By using this we ensure we understand each other. If expressions are missing there, feel free to add them (if you have a wiki account).

Sebastian

Sebo

Feb 6, 2012, 4:00:41 AM2/6/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
The tooltip will now just be shown when you hover the tag. It won't be shown anymore when hovering the twisty or an empty part.

Sebastian

str8oz

Apr 6, 2012, 2:05:43 PM4/6/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I have version 1.9.1 and it still has the annoying tooltip.  What version has this fix?
I seriously don't know why anyone would ever want the tooltip.

str8oz

Apr 6, 2012, 2:07:31 PM4/6/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I have version 1.9.1 and it still has the annoying tooltip.  What version do I need to have?
I seriously don't know why anyone would ever want that tooltip.

str8oz

Apr 6, 2012, 2:11:32 PM4/6/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I agree completely that this tooltip is nothing but annoying.

Jan Odvarko

Apr 7, 2012, 2:00:16 AM4/7/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com

Just to mak sure I understand. Do you mean the following tooltip?

(see the attached screenshot)

Honza

Jan Odvarko

Apr 7, 2012, 2:00:47 AM4/7/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com

Just to mak sure I understand. Do you mean the following tooltip?

(see the attached screenshot)

Honza

I agree completely that this tooltip is nothing but annoying.

--

image001.png

Sebo

Apr 10, 2012, 7:42:03 AM4/10/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
What version do I need to have?
Try 1.10a6.

I seriously don't know why anyone would ever want that tooltip.
E.g. in the case you mix different namespaces like HTML and SVG this can be very helpful. And the XPath helps to see where the element is located inside the tree structure.

Just to mak sure I understand. Do you mean the following tooltip?
Considering that str8oz posted his comments right after my one I assume he's talking about exactly this tooltip. Am I right, str8oz?

Sebastian

David Hollingshead

Apr 23, 2012, 1:04:34 PM4/23/12
to Firebug
Yes, that is exactly the popup. It appears when I hover even near the
tag (within range to highlight the area in the viewport), and on the +
symbols. Usually I expand an element (or just click on it to modify
it) and the popup appears, obscuring what I'm trying to read or edit.

I have disabled "Show Preview Tooltips" and "Show Quick Info Box" in
Options to no avail.

On Apr 7, 12:00 am, "Jan Odvarko" <odva...@gmail.com> wrote:
> From: Jan Odvarko [mailto:odva...@gmail.com]
>  image001.png
> 29KViewDownload

Sebo

Apr 24, 2012, 1:08:54 AM4/24/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Yes, that is exactly the popup. It appears when I hover even near the
tag (within range to highlight the area in the viewport), and on the +
symbols. Usually I expand an element (or just click on it to modify
it) and the popup appears, obscuring what I'm trying to read or edit.
That's why I said people should try out Firebug 1.10. There I fixed it already so that it only appears by hovering the tag itself.

I have disabled "Show Preview Tooltips" and "Show Quick Info Box" in
Options to no avail.
Show Quick Info Box is unrelated to this. It displays a box inside the page showing you additional information about an element when hovering it.
Also Show Preview Tooltips doesn't disable this tooltip since it's not a preview that is displayed but additional info. In 1.10 this option was renamed to Show Info Tips, though it might be changed back to because Show Preview Tooltips seems to be clearer.

Again, please try out 1.10 and let us know, if it's ok for you now.

Sebastian

David Hollingshead

May 8, 2012, 6:13:44 PM5/8/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
I will wait for 1.10 to become stable.

Sebo

May 9, 2012, 2:43:48 AM5/9/12
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Even when 1.10 is still in alpha phase it is pretty stable. If you though don't want to try it on your normal profile, you could simply create a new Firefox profile and test it there.

Sebastian

Cheolho Minale

Mar 12, 2013, 10:48:17 PM3/12/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com, sebastia...@gmx.de
Sorry but I just wanted to reply and it appears I either received a new update or needed to restart firefox and now appears to be fixed.

On Tuesday, March 12, 2013 3:48:19 PM UTC-7, Cheolho Minale wrote:
Hi I didn't see an update on this issue.

I'm currently using Firefox 19 - firebug v. 1.11.2 on Ubuntu 12 and when I hover over I get a huge black box that takes up almost the entirety of the screen.

Attached is an image of what it looks like.  In this case I was hovering over the body tag.

Thanks

Sebastian Zartner

Apr 19, 2013, 5:04:59 AM4/19/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Which version of Ubuntu? Which window manager? Which version of Firefox?

How does the tooltip look like when you hover other parts of the UI? E.g. hovering the URL column header inside the Net panel gives me this:

After all this issue doesn't seem related to Firebug but looks like a Firefox or OS bug.

Sebastian

Gerard Caulfield

Apr 20, 2013, 10:14:25 AM4/20/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com

Which version of Ubuntu?

 Ubuntu 12.10

Which window manager?

Unity

Which version of Firefox?

The latest from the Software Center in Ubuntu
version 20.0
Build identifier: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Ubuntu; Linux x86_64; rv:20.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/20.0

How does the tooltip look like when you hover other parts of the UI? E.g. hovering the URL column header inside the Net panel [...]

That displays with an appropriately sized box:

Gerard Caulfield

Apr 20, 2013, 10:19:51 AM4/20/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hmmm... just like Cheolho Minale the problem appears to have fixed itself after a restart. However I have had this issue many times in the past through more than one Ubuntu update. Next time it happens I'll check the  other hovers.

Sebastian Zartner

Apr 20, 2013, 4:39:20 PM4/20/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the feedback. As long as a browser restart fixes the issue, it should be fine. Please let us know if it reappears, though.

Sebastian

Sebastian Zartner

Apr 22, 2013, 3:56:16 AM4/22/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com
It doesn't sound like your issue is related to the HTML tooltips, is it?
Please read the description of the HTML panel. Maybe your question will already be answered there.

Sebastian

On Sunday, April 21, 2013 3:57:00 AM UTC+2, onapthanh wrote:
[onaprsc.com.vnhttp://onaprsc.com.vn/] I have used firebug to test my web. My web designed about [onaprsc], [on ap], onaplioa], [on ap standa-rs] and I see that it verry uaefully but Ican copy code htlm to see later. nad now have I to do?@ http://onaprsc.com.vn

yoru...@gmail.com

Jul 31, 2013, 4:08:45 AM7/31/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Hello, I have the problem too. It’s been visible for me for maybe a year. The tooltip doesn’t always show, but a restart of Firefox doesn’t solve the problem all the time neither.
I’m using Firebug 1.11.4 on Firefox 22.0, on ArchLinux (up to date).
An option to completely disable this tooltip would be welcomed, since it’s absolutely useless to me (and maybe for others ?).
I’ll live with it, though.

Sebastian Zartner

Jul 31, 2013, 4:00:59 PM7/31/13
to fir...@googlegroups.com
Since this issue just seems just to happen on Linux, it seems to be a Firefox bug. If you can constantly reproduce it, you should file a bug in Bugzilla providing the steps to reproduce the problem plus a screenshot.

Sebastian