how to index with Solr?

Perry Willett

May 26, 2016, 6:32:42 PM5/26/16
to Fedora Tech
What is the recommend method to index Fedora resources with Solr? I've been following the documentation at:

and trying to install fcrepo-message-consumer. (I note that this is in github.com/fcrepo4-labs, and hasn't been updated in a while.) I've tried to install it on several different hosts, and have failed every time. Now I notice that the fcrepo-camel-toolbox also claims to do this. I note that this is in github.com/fcrepo-exts, uses Camel, and is much more current. Is this a better way to go? I'd appreciate any information/guidance on the best approach. Thanks,

Perry Willett
California Digital Library

Andrew Woods

May 26, 2016, 6:56:40 PM5/26/16
to fedor...@googlegroups.com
Hello Perry,
Thanks for raising the flag on this. The fcrepo-message-consumer is fully deprecated and has been replaced by the fcrepo-camel-toolbox machinery. The documentation you mentioned must be updated immediately!

You may find the bash scripts of fcrepo4-vagrant-base-box and fcrepo4-vagrant helpful as they relate to getting Karaf, Camel, and the Fedora pieces installed/configured.

Once you have a basic integration between Fedora and Solr with the "default" [1] transform, you will want to customize the fields extracted from your Fedora resources with the "Transform" module [2].

Please note that you will need to be running the fcrepo-webapp-plus-4.5.1.war [3], that includes the optional "Transform" module not found in the core fcrepo-webapp.war.

Sorry for the confusion with the documentation. Once it is clean-up, it would be valuable to get your feedback on its "reasonableness".

Regards,
Andrew

Perry Willett

May 26, 2016, 7:25:22 PM5/26/16
to Fedora Tech
Thanks, Andrew, I'll give it a whirl!

Perry

Andrew Woods

Jun 1, 2016, 7:07:43 PM6/1/16
to fedor...@googlegroups.com
Hello Perry,
Here is the updated indexing documentation:

Your feedback would be extremely valuable.
Thanks,
Andrew

Coleman, Betsy

Jun 2, 2016, 9:40:41 AM6/2/16
to fedor...@googlegroups.com

Andrew,

If you download and install the 4.5.1 Vagrant - won't all these come configured and ready to go?  Are there any differences with that install with what the quick guide recommends?

Thanks,

Betsy

Jun 2, 2016, 9:51:22 AM6/2/16
to fedor...@googlegroups.com
Hello Betsy,
The fcrepo4-vagrant [1] provides a virtual machine which includes: Fedora, Solr, Fuseki, and the Camel-based integration tooling. That is great for testing and experimenting with Fedora and some surrounding integrations, but is likely not the setup you would use in production.

This updated Quick Guide [2] details how to set up: Fedora, Solr, and the Camel-based integration tooling directly on your local infrastructure.

Otherwise, the only difference is the way in which Solr is deployed. In the fcrepo4-vagrant, Solr is deployed as a web application in the same Tomcat as Fedora and Fuseki. In the Quick Guide, Solr is deployed as a standalone server... which is the direction that the Solr project is moving towards [3].

Regards,
Andrew

Perry Willett

Jun 7, 2016, 4:44:27 PM6/7/16
to Fedora Tech
Hi Andrew,

Finally got back to this. The new instructions are very clear and easy to follow. I was able to set this up and test it quickly, and it all worked as expected. Thanks!

Perry

Andrew Woods

Jun 7, 2016, 4:48:00 PM6/7/16
to fedor...@googlegroups.com