Fedora performance and scalability meeting, Aug 14, 11am EST

Yinlin

Aug 11, 2017, 2:29:38 PM8/11/17
to Fedora Tech
Hi!

There will be a Fedora performance - scale meeting on Monday 08/14/2017 11AM EST

You can find the agenda here: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/FF/2017-08-14+Performance+-+Scale+meeting

Please feel free to update agenda items. Thanks!

Regards,
Yinlin

Christopher Johnson

Aug 12, 2017, 12:59:08 AM8/12/17
to Fedora Tech
Hi Yinlin,

This may be out of scope for the tasks on the table for the meeting, but I would like to know if there is anyone evaluating performance for fcrepo client extensions and services.

My current focus is with fcrepo-camel (and the fcrepo java client).  I am experimenting with how to measure (and scale) triplestore indexing throughput with different configurations.  For example, using the camel seda async endpoint with concurrent consumers instead of a direct endpoint with a set number of threads.  With async, there is no MQ backlog for the indexing route at all, but the performance "bottleneck" seems rather to be with the FcrepoProducer and the client (average throughput is ~1 sec per operation).  Surprisingly to me, the indexing service depends on fast response times from the repository.  I had initially suspected that Fuseki or the messaging pipeline was slow or that it was JVM resource related.

I guess my point is that there are a lot of performance scenarios that can in theory be useful to analyze and document.  It might be worthwhile to write some new jmeter tests that use the client directly or attempt to mimic service configurations...

- Christopher