Fancy running on Rubinius VM

Christopher Bertels

Oct 4, 2010, 4:52:57 PM10/4/10
to The Fancy Programming Language
As of recently, there has been lots of work done on a bytecode
compiler for the Rubinius VM.

Thanks to several new committers to the project, alot of work has been
done to improve the language, its syntax and performance.
We’re planning on getting all of Fancy’s features implemented for
Rubinius soon.
This is a pretty huge step in Fancy’s development since we’ll gain
some substantial performance improvements and hopefully will be able
to fully bootstrap the language soon.
Another obvious improvement will be the possibility to use any
existing Ruby library and framework that runs on Rubinius (including
most C-extensions that also run on the VM).

PS: You can have a look at the current bytecode compiler work done at
the rbx_bytecode branch ( => http://github.com/bakkdoor/fancy/tree/rbx_bytecode
).

Cheers,
Christopher.

Victor Hugo Borja

Oct 7, 2010, 11:44:42 AM10/7/10
to fancy...@googlegroups.com
Good news everyone!,  we have almost everything that is needed for bootstrapping, all the fancy files in lib/ can be compiled to rubinius bytecode. We're working on implementing the methods we currently have in C++ in ruby (inside rbx/fancy_ext). So we will be bootstrapping really soon, and ready to implement everything in fancy itself.

I'd like to thank all of you for making fancy so awesome!.

It would be really nice to have the new web design for the next release (I hope we can bootstrap in a week, and make a release by that time).

cheers !!
--
vic

Quaerendo invenietis.

goy...@gmail.com

Oct 7, 2010, 11:46:10 AM10/7/10
to fancy...@googlegroups.com

Sweeeeet! I can't wait to see fancy bootstraping, :-)

Enviado desde mi BlackBerry de Movistar

From: Victor Hugo Borja <vbo...@apache.org>
Date: Thu, 7 Oct 2010 10:44:42 -0500
Subject: Re: [fancy-lang] Fancy running on Rubinius VM

Christopher Bertels

Oct 7, 2010, 12:29:26 PM10/7/10
to fancy-lang
Excerpts from Victor Hugo Borja's message of Do Okt 07 17:44:42 +0200 2010:

> Good news everyone!, we have almost everything that is needed for
> bootstrapping, all the fancy files in lib/ can be compiled to rubinius
> bytecode. We're working on implementing the methods we currently have in C++
> in ruby (inside rbx/fancy_ext). So we will be bootstrapping really soon, and
> ready to implement everything in fancy itself.

Vic, if you have time, would you mind getting back into irc?
Got some stuff to talk about. Everyone else is of course also very
welcome to join in.

> I'd like to thank all of you for making fancy so awesome!.
>
> It would be really nice to have the new web design for the next release (I
> hope we can bootstrap in a week, and make a release by that time).

Yeah, I was thinking about a new release (0.3) as well, once we're
fully running on rbx. We'd also have to make it more public by
then. Maybe we'll have a new website by then? That would be really cool ;)
We'll see. If not, that's fine, too.
Let's get hacking so we get Fancy fully running on rbx soon =)
--
================================
Christopher Bertels

Nils Haldenwang

Oct 7, 2010, 12:34:09 PM10/7/10
to fancy...@googlegroups.com
Huzza, that is damn fast. The pure ruby parser will take a bit longer,
as I have no time to work on it within the rest of this week and the
next week. But I try to finish it asap. :-)

Christopher Bertels

Oct 7, 2010, 12:45:52 PM10/7/10
to fancy-lang
Excerpts from Nils Haldenwang's message of Do Okt 07 18:34:09 +0200 2010:

> Huzza, that is damn fast. The pure ruby parser will take a bit longer,
> as I have no time to work on it within the rest of this week and the
> next week. But I try to finish it asap. :-)

I suppose I could work on a treetop-based ruby parser. It might be
slower than using the antlr-version (don't know, we can compare them),
but then we'd have something independent of the interpreter for now.

This really helps since there are so many dependencies currently it's
not very easy to isolate things. E.g. we need all of the current
stdlib written in Fancy to even run the interpreter (otherwise the
whole to_rsexp stuff won't work) but at the same time need
rubinius-specific code etc. It _can_ work, just isn't as
effective. Also this slows down the whole compilation & running
process alot. Will look into that later.

@Nils: Sorry, don't want to discredit your work on the ruby parser, we
can always get back to your version. It might be faster I think, since
treetop uses a different parsing algorithm. But we can check that out
once you're done with your antlr parser.

What do you think?

Nils Haldenwang

Oct 8, 2010, 3:39:28 AM10/8/10
to fancy...@googlegroups.com
Huzza! Have a new plan. Should reduce the problem to something that
could be easily done. Well, I will keep the language independent plan
in mind but will build a grammar with embedded Ruby first, as it is
much easier. I guess this could perhaps be done until the next
release,... Hopefully. :-)

Christopher Bertels

Oct 8, 2010, 4:11:55 AM10/8/10
to The Fancy Programming Language
OK, great! Sounds good.
Unfortunately using treetop doesn't seem like a viable option. It's
about 10x slower on rbx than on MRI. No idea why. I'll talk to the rbx
people about it, maybe they know what's going on. Also, writing that
treetop parser wasn't much fun anyway :P