Fanboy Update for 12/29/08

1 view

Fanboy Comments Editor

Dec 29, 2008, 8:33:42 PM12/29/08
to fanboy...@googlegroups.com

  • 30 DAYS OF NIGHT 30 DAYS TIL DEATH #2
  • AVENGERS INITIATIVE #20
  • AVENGERS INVADERS #7
  • AVENGERS INVADERS FERRY VAR #7
  • BACK TO BROOKLYN #3
  • BATMAN #684
  • BATMAN CACOPHONY #2
  • BATMAN CACOPHONY 1 IN 25 VAR ED #2
  • BATMAN CACOPHONY 1 IN 50 SKETCH COVER ED #2
  • BATMAN VAR ED #684
  • BLUE BEETLE #34
  • CAPTAIN AMERICA #45
  • CAPTAIN AMERICA VILLAIN VAR #45
  • CYBLADE #2
  • DOCTOR WHO FORGOTTEN #5
  • DOKTOR SLEEPLESS #10
  • FANTASTIC FOUR #562
  • FANTASTIC FOUR COSMIC SPECIAL
  • FINAL CRISIS SECRET FILES #1

    wonder woman is clearly upset by how final this crisis isSo, Final Crisis has been going on, and a lot of people have been all, "Oh, I'm confused, I don't understand.  It's like there are some files with important information in them that I can't read-almost like they're secret or something."  Well, congratulations, you now have the opportunity to read the Secret Files issue that is guaranteed to make Final Crisis make complete sense.*

    *I do not guarantee that this is the case.

    $3.99 . DC Comics
  • GALAXY QUEST GLOBAL WARNING #5
  • GOON #31
  • GREEN LANTERN #36
  • GUARDIANS OF GALAXY #8
  • GUARDIANS OF GALAXY VILLAIN VAR #8
  • INCOGNITO #1

    man doesn't this guy know we are in a recessionEd Brubaker and Sean Phillips are taking a break from writing the best crime noir comic pretty much ever (Criminal) to write what will probably be the best crime noir superhero comic ever.  Okay, that's a lot to promise, but consider that Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips are both gods that stride their earth, and we are merely men who live in the footprints they leave behind as they continue their godly tasks.  So, uh, I hope this is good or I'll look quite the fool!

    $3.50 . Marvel Comics
  • INCREDIBLE HERCULES #124
  • INCREDIBLE HERCULES VILLAIN VAR #124
  • JACK OF FABLES #29
  • JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA #28
  • JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA #22
  • JUSTICE SOCIETY OF AMERICA VAR ED #22
  • KICK ASS #5

    my favorite part so far was when the comic was optioned for a movie before the first issue came outMan, I remember the days back when Kick Ass was a comic book, not a big-shot highfalutin' movie starring Nicholas Cage and maybe other people.  Oh, wait, it's still a comic book?  And Issue 5 is coming out this week?  Well, it's about dang gone time!  We might finally get to see what the deal with this ominously- and symbolically-named Genovese corporation is!  Also, John Romita Jr. will hopefully draw more awesome superviolence!  Kick Ass is a comic book that, amazingly enough, lives up to its name, and you should definitely check it out.

    $2.99 . Marvel Comics
  • KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE #146
  • LEGION OF SUPER HEROES #49
  • MADAME XANADU #7
  • MARVEL ADVENTURES FANTASTIC FOUR #43
  • MARVELS EYE OF CAMERA #2
  • NEW EXILES ANNUAL #1
  • NORTHLANDERS #13
  • PROOF #15
  • PUNISHER WAR JOURNAL #26
  • PUNISHER WAR ZONE #4
  • SCALPED #24
  • STAND CAPTAIN TRIPS #4
  • STAND CAPTAIN TRIPS PERKINS VAR #4
  • STAR WARS LEGACY VECTOR PART 12 OF 12 #31
  • SUPERMAN BATMAN VS VAMPIRES WEREWOLVES #6
  • SUPERMAN NEW KRYPTON #683
  • SUPERMAN NEW KRYPTON VAR ED #683
  • TEEN TITANS #66
  • TRANSFORMERS ALL HAIL MEGATRON #6
  • TRINITY #31
  • ULTIMATE HULK ANNUAL #1
  • ULTIMATE X-MEN #99
  • VENOM DARK ORIGIN #5
  • WAR MACHINE #1

    did you know that jim rhodes is known as 'buttercup' to his friends? i'm pretty sure there's an issue of iron man where he says this; you should look for itJim Rhodes a.k.a. War Machine a.k.a. Terence Howard a.k.a. the guy who wanted more money and was replaced by Don Cheadle a.k.a. Don Cheadle finally has a comic book all to himself again!  This time, he's here to solve crises around the world and shoot missiles at things, and he has a lot of missiles but fortunately the crisis-solving thing uses them so, you know, it all works out.  This one looks like it could be totally radical if that cover and my anachronistic slang are any indications!

    $2.99 . Marvel Comics
  • WAR MACHINE VILLAIN VAR #1
  • WAR THAT TIME FORGOT #8
  • WHAT IF SECRET WARS
  • WINTERMEN WINTER SPECIAL #1
  • WOLVERINE #70
  • WOLVERINE MANIFEST DESTINY #3
  • WORLD OF WARCRAFT #14
  • WORLD OF WARCRAFT ASHBRINGER #3
  • X-FORCE #10
  • X-FORCE VILLAIN VAR #10
  • X-MEN MAGNETO TESTAMENT #4
  • X-MEN WORLDS APART #3
  • YOUNG X-MEN #9
  • YOUNG X-MEN VILLAIN VAR #9

  • ALIENS OMNIBUS TP VOL 06
  • BALONEY GN
  • BEST STUDENT COUNCIL COMP COLL DVD BOX SET
  • CABLE TP VOL 01 MESSIAH WAR
  • DR WHO MAGAZINE
  • ESSENTIAL PUNISHER TP VOL 03
  • FANTASTIC FOUR WORLDS GREATEST PREM HC

    just to clarify, although mark millar did claim the book would summon jack kirby's spirit from the afterlife, he never claimed it would resurrect him. that's a vicious rumor propagated by his enemiesI've mentioned it before when I've discussed Mark Millar's Fantastic Four, but it's worth restating: this is a very good comic book.  I know that a lot of people don't like how Mark Millar is a shameless self-promoter and he did claim this book would do everything short of resurrect Jack Kirby, but if you take it for its merits, it's a pretty good, enjoyable Fantastic Four story.  This hardcover here has the first eight issues, which I believe cover the first two arcs with a bunch of crazy goings-on and cool new characters!  If you've been away from the Fantastic Four for a while and feel like checking them out again, I would say this isn't a bad story to start with.

    $24.99 . Marvel Comics
  • FANTASTIC FOUR WORLDS GREATEST PREM HC DM ED
  • GI JOE MIGHTY MUGGS AF ASST 200801
  • GROO HELL ON EARTH TP
  • HULK GIANT-SIZE TP
  • INFINITY INC TP VOL 02 THE BOGEYMAN
  • LONE RANGER HC VOL 02 LINES NOT CROSSED

    it's not commonly known but it turns out that the lone ranger was originally the loan arranger and he mostly gave out low-interest loans to poor people. he was retooled at the last second when it was discovered everyone hates financeIt kind of feels like I say this every week, but it's about time this book came out again.  The Lone Ranger was just too good of a comic book to stay off shelves as long as it did.  Pretty much since issue 1 this has been the best western comic on the shelves, and while it is very reverent of the source material, it isn't willing to make it a little darker and a little more complex.  So, essentially, it's sort of what they did with all the silver age comics in the eighties, but with an old TV show this time!  If you're a western fan, pick up the first volume, then pick this one up.  You should probably do that if you're not a western fan, too.  It's really good.  I guess if you hate westerns totally, you can take a pass on this one, but that's the only concession I'm willing to make.

    $19.99 . Dynamite Entertainment
  • LOOKING FOR GROUP TP VOL 01
  • NEW AVENGERS HC VOL 09 SECRET INVASION
  • OBAMA TIME FOR CHANGE BY ROSS BLK T/S

    a funnier joke by barack obama that is more or less completely unrelated to this shirt is when he was roasting rahm emanuel and said that after he got his middle finger cut off in a meat slicer he was rendered mute. i think all people of all parties can agree that is a pretty funny lineBack in October, now-President-Elect Barack Obama said,

    "Contrary to the rumors you have heard, I was not born in a manger," he told the crowd at the white-tie charity roast. "I was actually born on Krypton and sent here by my father Jor-El to save the Planet Earth."

    Of course, he was just kidding.OR WAS HE?  Search this picture of a shirt to find the truth!

    $17.95 .
  • PUMPKIN SCISSORS GN VOL 04
  • RUNAWAYS PREM HC PRIDE & JOY
  • RUNAWAYS TP DEAD END KIDS
  • SPIDER-MAN PREM HC BLUE
  • STAR WARS CLONE WARS TP VOL 02 CRASH COURSE
  • STAR WARS ULTIMATE 1/4 SCALE DARTH MAUL AF
  • SUPERMARKET TP (NEW PTG)
  • TEEN TITANS SPOTLIGHT RAVEN TP
  • THOR VISIONARIES WALT SIMONSON TP VOL 01 NEW PTG
  • UNIVERSAL WAR ONE PREM HC VOL 01
  • VINYL UNDERGROUND TP VOL 02 PRETTY DEAD THINGS
  • WARHAMMER 40K HORUS HERESY MECHANICUM MMPB
  • WIZARD MAGAZINE #208 ANDY KUBERT BATMAN & ROBIN CVR
  • WIZARD MAGAZINE #208 WOLVERINE MOVIE CVR

Happy New Year To Everyone!

This is it, the last Fanboy Newsletter for 2008.  I hope everyone had a great year and has a great new year.  I myself intend to limit the number of times I catch on fire to two, a significant reduction from past years!

Pleasantries aside, there's important stuff to mention in this update.

FIRST:  The Comics Order is Delayed This Week

We've mentioned it a few times, but the schedule gets all wonky during the holidays and we might as well mention it again:

This week's comics order is delayed until Friday.  The comics will not arrive until Friday, January 2nd.
Fanboy Comics will close at 7:00 on December 31st (New Year's Eve) and will be TOTALLY CLOSED on January 1st (New Year's Day).

Got that?  Good.

SECOND: FANBOY COMICS IS HAVING A HUGE CLEARANCE SALE UP THROUGH WEDNESDAY, DECEMBER 31ST

What might you be able to find at this clearance sale?  What variety of specials await you?  Well, it just so happens I have a list of exactly the specials you can expect to find!

  • 50% off all Comic Sets
  • $10 T-Shirts
  • Buy One Get One Half Price Action Figures
  • Buy One Get One Half Price Trade Paperbacks and Hardcovers
  • 50% off all Back Issues
  • Cover Price Back Issues available for a dollar each!
  • 30% off Miniatures (D&D, Warhammer, and more!)
  • 50% off Role-Playing Games (Excludes D&D)
  • 50% off Reduced Trade Paperbacks
  • 20% off Yu-Gi-Oh and Pokémon Cards (Excludes Sealed Boxes)
  • 20% off select Magic Boosters and Decks
  • 50% off all Magic Singles

Please note that these deals DO NOT include New Releases, and the half price item in the buy one get one half off special will always be the item of lesser value.

That should take care of it!  Enjoy the rest of the holidays, everyone!

All content ©2008 Fan Boy Comics and Cards. Click here for more information about this website.