Exposing some of my meta self-discussion about my methods for speedrunning

GISTE

Jan 16, 2020, 4:56:51 PM1/16/20
to FIGG
I’m now working on the beginner speedrunning route for the Metro
kingdom.

While I was watching the guide (before trying any of the route), the
route seemed a lot more difficult than previous kingdoms. So I decided
to use more of the tools available to me to make this project
easier/manageable.

So I created the first section (section 1) to be from the start of the
kingdom to the first checkpoint flag. I wrote about that in a curi blog
comment.[1]

With section 1 I did the following (not meant to be complete):
(1) watch the explanatory part of the beginner's guide,[2]
(2) try it out.

While doing step 2, I noticed that I made a few mistakes that weren’t
explained in the guide. So I rewatched the guide trying to find out how
I’m doing things differently, made adjustments, and tried again. I
repeated that until success. That worked just fine for this section.

Then I moved on to the next section (section 2), which I chose to be
from the first checkpoint to the top of the building.

With section 2 I tried following the same steps that I did for section
1. I noticed that it was too hard. I was failing too much. I wasn’t
even getting close to doing the right moves. So I decided to divide up
section 2 into multiple sections. So I made section 2.1 (from flag to
the awning jump) and section 2.2 (from awning jump to top of building).

Section 2.1 was a bit harder than section 1. I wasn’t able to notice
exactly what I was doing wrong while trying the run live. So I added an
extra method of *recording video and rewatching it to see if I could
catch what I did wrong*. That worked well. I wrote about my initial work
on section 2 and my work on section 2.1 in a curi blog comment.[3]

Section 2.2 was even harder. I noticed that even from just watching the
guide. So I added a method of *writing down explanations of the common
mistakes and explanations of their solutions*. That wasn’t enough. I
was not able to notice exactly what I was doing wrong, even while
reviewing my recorded videos. So I added another method of *comparing my
recorded videos with the beginner’s guide*. I still had trouble until
I finally added this method: *explain exactly what I should be doing
differently than what I’ve been doing*. After doing this last thing I
was able to succeed consistently at completing section 2.2 pretty
quickly (no big time losses). I wrote about my work on section 2.2 in a
curi blog comment.[4]

So with section 2.2 I did the following:
(1) watch the explanatory part of the beginner's guide,[1]
(2) write down the guide’s explanations of the common mistakes and
their solutions
(3) try it out until success. if fail,
(a) figure out what I did wrong,
(i) first try figuring out what I did wrong on the fly.
(ii) if fail, record video and review.
(iii) if fail, compare my recorded video with the guide.
(b) write down what I should do differently,
(c) go back to step 3.

[1] https://curi.us/2198-mario-odyssey-discussion#15095

[2]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMTl5aVqHdA&list=PLiinoyifvFb64od8RyqPFmVqDrFwkgaa0&index=7&t=0s

[3] https://curi.us/2198-mario-odyssey-discussion#15103

[4] https://curi.us/2198-mario-odyssey-discussion#15118

-- GISTE

Elliot Temple

Jan 16, 2020, 6:12:47 PM1/16/20
to FIGG
On Jan 16, 2020, at 1:56 PM, GISTE <cuz.good.is.str...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I’m now working on the beginner speedrunning route for the Metro kingdom.
>
> While I was watching the guide (before trying any of the route), the route seemed a lot more difficult than previous kingdoms. So I decided to use more of the tools available to me to make this project easier/manageable.

great!

> So I created the first section (section 1)

breaking stuff up into parts is a good tool.

> to be from the start of the kingdom to the first checkpoint flag. I wrote about that in a curi blog comment.[1]
>
> With section 1 I did the following (not meant to be complete):
> (1) watch the explanatory part of the beginner's guide,[2]
> (2) try it out.
>
> While doing step 2, I noticed that I made a few mistakes that weren’t explained in the guide. So I rewatched the guide trying to find out how I’m doing things differently, made adjustments, and tried again. I repeated that until success. That worked just fine for this section.
>
> Then I moved on to the next section (section 2), which I chose to be from the first checkpoint to the top of the building.
>
> With section 2 I tried following the same steps that I did for section 1. I noticed that it was too hard. I was failing too much. I wasn’t even getting close to doing the right moves. So I decided to divide up section 2 into multiple sections. So I made section 2.1 (from flag to the awning jump) and section 2.2 (from awning jump to top of building).

dividing parts into sub-parts is a good use of the breaking-into-parts tool. it can be used repeatedly until stuff is small and easy enough.

> Section 2.1 was a bit harder than section 1. I wasn’t able to notice exactly what I was doing wrong while trying the run live. So I added an extra method of *recording video and rewatching it to see if I could catch what I did wrong*. That worked well. I wrote about my initial work on section 2 and my work on section 2.1 in a curi blog comment.[3]
>
> Section 2.2 was even harder. I noticed that even from just watching the guide. So I added a method of *writing down explanations of the common mistakes and explanations of their solutions*. That wasn’t enough. I was not able to notice exactly what I was doing wrong, even while reviewing my recorded videos. So I added another method of *comparing my recorded videos with the beginner’s guide*.

good

> I still had trouble until I finally added this method: *explain exactly what I should be doing differently than what I’ve been doing*. After doing this last thing I was able to succeed consistently at completing section 2.2 pretty quickly (no big time losses). I wrote about my work on section 2.2 in a curi blog comment.[4]
>
> So with section 2.2 I did the following:
> (1) watch the explanatory part of the beginner's guide,[1]
> (2) write down the guide’s explanations of the common mistakes and their solutions
> (3) try it out until success. if fail,
> (a) figure out what I did wrong,
> (i) first try figuring out what I did wrong on the fly.
> (ii) if fail, record video and review.
> (iii) if fail, compare my recorded video with the guide.
> (b) write down what I should do differently,
> (c) go back to step 3.

Although you wrote it in text form, that’s a tree. You could visually represent that as a tree. Trees are equivalent to outlines with nesting. If that’s not crystal clear to you, make a tree from your point-form outline.
Elliot Temple
www.elliottemple.com

GISTE

Jan 17, 2020, 6:20:26 AM1/17/20
to FIGG

On Jan 16, 2020, at 5:12 PM, Elliot Temple <cu...@curi.us> wrote:

> On Jan 16, 2020, at 1:56 PM, GISTE
> <cuz.good.is.str...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I’m now working on the beginner speedrunning route for the Metro
>> kingdom.

>> So with section 2.2 I did the following:
>> (1) watch the explanatory part of the beginner's guide,[1]
>> (2) write down the guide’s explanations of the common mistakes and
>> their solutions
>> (3) try it out until success. if fail,
>> (a) figure out what I did wrong,
>> (i) first try figuring out what I did wrong on the fly.
>> (ii) if fail, record video and review.
>> (iii) if fail, compare my recorded video with the guide.
>> (b) write down what I should do differently,
>> (c) go back to step 3.
>
> Although you wrote it in text form, that’s a tree. You could
> visually represent that as a tree. Trees are equivalent to outlines
> with nesting. If that’s not crystal clear to you, make a tree from
> your point-form outline.

It seemed crystal clear to me but I wanted to make a tree anyway.

I made 2 trees, both in the same MindNode file:

https://my.mindnode.com/Csaf88FeWF5EsQ3NKxk3D9jzyu28QscdUPMgh4KS

The first one seemed hard to follow so I made the 2nd one hoping it’d
be easier. I think the 2nd one is better.

The outline version of my 2nd tree is this:

So with section 2.2 I did the following:
(1) watch the explanatory part of the beginner's guide
(2) write down the guide’s explanations of the common mistakes and
their solutions
(3) try it out
(a) if success, move on to next section
(b) if fail, figure out what I did wrong on the fly,
(i) if fail, figure it out by recording video and reviewing.
(ii) if fail, figure it out by comparing my recorded video with the
guide.
(I) write down what I should do differently,
(II) repeat step 3.

-- GISTE