socializing (was: participating in organizations)

Anne B

Nov 30, 2017, 9:13:00 PM11/30/17
to fallibl...@yahoogroups.com, fallibl...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Anne B <anne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hmm. I wonder what my life would be like if I cut out socializing.
> Would I be lonely? Are any of you lonely? Is there anyone here who
> used to be more sociable and stopped because of FI and are you glad
> you did?

Anyone have an answer for this?

How much socializing do people here do? Do you all spend most of each
day alone? Do you socialize online or not at all? Is that a good
lifestyle to have?

Is there any socializing that's good? Socializing with good people if
you know any?

Is there any reason to keep up social relationships with other people?
With close family? So they help you out when you need it? So you can
try to influence their thinking?

Elliot Temple

Nov 30, 2017, 9:54:51 PM11/30/17
to FIGG, fallibl...@yahoogroups.com
On Nov 30, 2017, at 6:12 PM, Anne B <anne...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 23, 2017 at 3:55 PM, Anne B <anne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hmm. I wonder what my life would be like if I cut out socializing.
>> Would I be lonely? Are any of you lonely?

I am not conventionally lonely. I have too few colleagues, which is a different matter.

>> Is there anyone here who
>> used to be more sociable and stopped because of FI and are you glad
>> you did?

yes, me.

> Anyone have an answer for this?
>
> How much socializing do people here do? Do you all spend most of each
> day alone? Do you socialize online or not at all? Is that a good
> lifestyle to have?

i'd broadly recommend against socializing with non-philosophers. one reason is it prevents *integration* of philosophy with life – it's hard to bring up (or act on) philosophy points, as they come up, with the wrong company.

the advantages of asynchronous communication (you each read and reply to stuff on your own schedule) are massively underrated and online is the best for that.

> Is there any socializing that's good? Socializing with good people if
> you know any?
>
> Is there any reason to keep up social relationships with other people?
> With close family? So they help you out when you need it? So you can
> try to influence their thinking?

i'd try to persuade close family and friends to become philosophers and join FI, ASAP. if you don't then, in the long run, if you make a ton of intellectual progress and they don't, then you aren't going to like each other anymore.

Elliot Temple
www.fallibleideas.com