Learning plan reports for semiweeks 17, 18

GISTE

Aug 27, 2020, 5:46:58 PM8/27/20
to FIGG
Learning plan report for semiweek 17/18

I forgot to send my 17 report to FI. So I’m including those details
here.

# Descriptions of my work:

Semiweek 17

Philosophy My kid asked me a question: "So Jeff Bezos got lucky?"

Programming My kid and I wanted to find out how big a number a computer
could handle. We used Newton's Method to do it.

Programming My kid asked me about 10 divided by 3 and if the 3s repeat
forever. That launched a fun discussion about how computers deal with
such numbers.

Philosophy I thought of the mind as a court and brainstormed about it.

Philosophy I wrote about charisma/charm and thought about why people
like it.

Philosophy I tried to answer Elliot's questions about emergencies in my
life and how I'm treating them.

Philosophy I had a productive discussion with Justin Mallone about being
fat, eating policies, documentation, etc.

Speedrunning I answered Elliot's questions about my 30 session sub-plan
re my speedrunning.

Cooking I used my Griddler to make a tastier fajita wrap!

Semiweek 18

Philosophy, Business I helped a friend with a work problem involving
interacting with an irrational coworker and did post-documentation about
it.

Philosophy I blogged about a similar situation to one I read about in a
curi blog comment about asking a question that could potentially expose
irrationality.

Cooking I was trying to improve my stew recipe and found an article
explaining common mistakes people make when making stew.

Cooking I researched what veggies I could add to my stew recipe.

Cooking I happened upon an awesome recipe by accident and decided to
document it.

Cooking I researched why one would use freshly-ground black pepper
instead of pre-ground.

Cooking I want to make smoked brisket so I found a recipe and planned my
first cooking session with a slight improvement over the recipe.

-- GISTE

Elliot Temple

Aug 27, 2020, 6:47:13 PM8/27/20
to FIGG
https://ramirustom.blogspot.com/2020/08/comments-on-elliot-temples-screencasts.html

i’m highlighting this link for others. comments on my tutoring videos.

https://ramirustom.blogspot.com/2020/08/speedrunning-review-2020-08-21.html

> I noticed that it took me 30 sessions of Cap kingdom (first kingdom) to go from ~200% of WR time to ~119% of WR time. So I thought that each kingdom after that would need at least that much because those kingdoms are more difficult (assuming all other things are constant, like my skill). This is a vague impression I got a long time ago when I first started speedrunning. And to account for the extra difficulty of the next kingdom, I decided to reduce the goal from 119% to 125%.

I think you should prioritize finishing a whole run. 200% of the WR time is fine. start by aiming there (or even 300%), then get it down to 175% then 150%.

then you figure out which parts you have trouble with and practice those.

don’t optimize the small parts so much b/c you don’t have the whole picture yet, and don’t know where the bottlenecks are, and optimizing the details a lot delays finishing the first big milestone (completed any% speedrun using an actual speedrun route and split timer instead of just playing the game casually).

Elliot Temple
www.elliottemple.com