build problems

Peter Kümmel

Jun 9, 2012, 4:11:02 AM6/9/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I tried to build on Linux Mint 13 (should be the same as Ubuntu 12.04)
but have problems with the autotools.
Here is what I did:

$ git checkout -f
$ rm ../.gitignore
$ git clean -df
Removing aclocal.m4
Removing autom4te.cache/
Removing config.log
Removing configure
$ autoconf
configure.ac:12: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:17: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.ac:24: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X
configure.ac:85: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
$ aclocal
$ autoconf
configure.ac:24: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X
      See the Autoconf documentation.
$ aclocal
$ ./configure
./configure: line 2484: syntax error near unexpected token `folly-config.h,'
./configure: line 2484: `AX_PREFIX_CONFIG_H(folly-config.h, folly, config.h)'
$

./configure: line 2484:
AX_PREFIX_CONFIG_H(folly-config.h, folly, config.h)

Any ideas what's going wrong?

Many thanks,
Peter

Stefano Dobrilla

Jun 10, 2012, 4:27:04 PM6/10/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
$ aclocal
$ autoconf
configure.ac:24: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X
      See the Autoconf documentation.

The same problem on Mac OS X 10.7.

Any suggestion?

Thanks,
Stefano

Tudor Bosman

Jun 10, 2012, 5:12:37 PM6/10/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Peter,

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Peter Kümmel <synth...@gmx.net> wrote:
configure.ac:12: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
      See the Autoconf documentation.
configure.ac:17: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
configure.ac:24: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X
configure.ac:85: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL

These seem to indicate that automake isn't installed.

-Tudor.

Tudor Bosman

Jun 10, 2012, 5:15:49 PM6/10/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Stefano,

On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Stefano Dobrilla <stefano....@gmail.com> wrote:
$ aclocal
$ autoconf
configure.ac:24: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X
      See the Autoconf documentation.

The same problem on Mac OS X 10.7.

folly probably won't work on Mac OS X 10.7.  Mac OS X ships with clang, not gcc (and it shipped an ancient version of gcc before Lion).  Folly currently requires gcc 4.6.2 or higher, and I'm sure there are Linux-isms in there as well -- getting rid of Linux-isms would not be horribly hard, though.

We'll look at other platforms (32-bit versions of Linux, Mac OS X, and FreeBSD 9, in this order) in the near future, but if you (or anyone else) want to sink some time into this before we get to it, we'd welcome any patches.

-Tudor.

Peter Kümmel

Jun 10, 2012, 5:26:52 PM6/10/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 1:11 AM, Peter Kümmel <synth...@gmx.net <mailto:synth...@gmx.net>> wrote:
>
> configure.ac:12 <http://configure.ac:12>: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE
> If this token and others are legitimate, please use m4_pattern_allow.
> See the Autoconf documentation.
> configure.ac:17 <http://configure.ac:17>: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_PROG_LIBTOOL
> configure.ac:24 <http://configure.ac:24>: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X
> configure.ac:85 <http://configure.ac:85>: error: possibly undefined macro: AM_CONDITIONAL
>

> These seem to indicate that automake isn't installed.

Hi Tudor,

all dependencies are installed,

$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.11.3

and it could generate 'configure' after a aclocal call.

But I've installed gflags and glog from source
and not the packages. Could this be the reason?

Peter

Tudor Bosman

Jun 10, 2012, 5:34:10 PM6/10/12
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Peter Kümmel <synth...@gmx.net> wrote:

These seem to indicate that automake isn't installed.

Hi Tudor,

all dependencies are installed,

$ automake --version
automake (GNU automake) 1.11.3

Indeed. My mistake; the AM_* macros were found during aclocal, so the only missing ones are AC_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X and AX_PREFIX_CONFIG_H.  A web search shows that both come from autoconf-archive, http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/

(While you're at it, please confirm that the version of gcc that you have is at least 4.6.2, as folly won't build without it)

-Tudor.

Peter Kümmel

Jun 10, 2012, 6:06:48 PM6/10/12
On 10.06.2012 23:34, Tudor Bosman wrote:

> Indeed. My mistake; the AM_* macros were found during aclocal, so the only missing ones are AC_CXX_COMPILE_STDCXX_0X and
> AX_PREFIX_CONFIG_H. A web search shows that both come from autoconf-archive, http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf-archive/

Thanks, I didn't thought it is a missing package.

But it's not straight forward, therefore:

https://github.com/facebook/folly/pull/10

> (While you're at it, please confirm that the version of gcc that you have is at least 4.6.2, as folly won't build
> without it)

$ gcc --version
gcc (Ubuntu/Linaro 4.6.3-1ubuntu5) 4.6.3

Do you know if it works with clang/trunk?

Peter

Andrew Gallagher

Jun 10, 2012, 6:07:49 PM6/10/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
Does just "autoreconf -i" work?

Andrew

Tudor Bosman

Jun 11, 2012, 12:47:13 AM6/11/12
On Sun, Jun 10, 2012 at 3:06 PM, Peter Kümmel <synth...@gmx.net> wrote:

Do you know if it works with clang/trunk?

I don't think so, but feel free to give it a shot. Patches welcome :)

-Tudor.

Hao Liu

Jun 12, 2012, 7:14:24 AM6/12/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
Hi

Same problem here, on Fedora 17, with gcc 4.7.0, automake 1.11.3.

I installed every package required through yum, don't know where the problem is. I have same output as you while building folly.

Hugo

Peter Kümmel

Jun 12, 2012, 8:47:24 AM6/12/12
On 12.06.2012 13:14, Hao Liu wrote:
> Hi
>
> Same problem here, on Fedora 17, with gcc 4.7.0, automake 1.11.3.
>
> I installed every package required through yum, don't know where the problem is. I have same output as you while
> building folly.
>
> Hugo

Try 'autoreconf --install'.

Peter

Hao Liu

Jun 23, 2012, 7:41:10 AM6/23/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
It works now, thanks Peter!

When I compile it under Fedora 17 with gcc 4.7, it shows me two errors in max() & min(), in FBString.cpp and Benchmark.cpp if I remember it right. It's between size_t and long unsigned int.

I have to cast the argument type manually so that it can compile successfully.

Hao

Tudor Bosman

Jun 23, 2012, 11:33:51 AM6/23/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
Is this on a 32- or 64-bit Linux installation?

Folly currently only works on 64-bit.

-Tudor.

Hao Liu

Jun 25, 2012, 12:46:48 AM6/25/12