Welcome to folly!

Tudor Bosman

Jun 7, 2012, 5:56:56 PM6/7/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Welcome to the facebook-folly group, dedicated to discussions, announcements, updates etc. about folly, the Facebook Open source LibrarY.

Folly is published on Github at https://github.com/facebook/folly.

Folly (acronymed loosely after Facebook Open Source Library) is a library of C++11 components designed with practicality and efficiency in mind. It complements (as opposed to competing against) offerings such as Boost and of course std. In fact, we embark on defining our own component only when something we need is either not available, or does not meet the needed performance profile.

Performance concerns permeate much of Folly, sometimes leading to designs that are more idiosyncratic than they would otherwise be (see e.g. PackedSyncPtr.h, SmallLocks.h). Good performance at large scale is a unifying theme in all of Folly.

Most folly contributors from Facebook are subscribed to this group and will be able to answer your questions.

Have fun!

-Tudor.

Miłosz Gawron

Aug 21, 2012, 4:03:41 AM8/21/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I would like to thank all the folly contributors for this library, it is the best experience for me to see how the work of the best engineers from industry looks like. Atomic containers you provide with this library,
all opensourced on apache license is pioneer and something I would never get (for free :D). I hope this library will give me a lot of engineering fun :)

take care
Miłosz

Tudor Bosman

Aug 21, 2012, 10:24:04 AM8/21/12
to faceboo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the kind words. I hope you find it useful.

-Tudor.

Miłosz