[ANNOUNCE] fuse-exfat & exfat-utils 1.0.0

Andrew Nayenko

Jan 19, 2013, 9:15:15 AM1/19/13
to ex...@googlegroups.com
After more than 3 years of development and 9 betas the first stable
version is out! The release is all about bugfixes and revamped OS X
support (surprisingly there are people who prefer fuse-exfat to Apple's
driver).

Downloads: http://code.google.com/p/exfat/downloads/list

Note that there are no RPM packages anymore. I believe manual downloads
is not the right way to distribute software for GNU/Linux distros. If
you want to build RPMs on your own you can take spec-files from those
source RPMs:
http://code.google.com/p/exfat/downloads/list?can=4&q=fc17.src.rpm

Changes between 0.9.8 and 1.0.0:

* Fixed crash when renaming a file within a single directory and a new
name differs only in case.
* Fixed clusters allocation: a cluster beyond valid clusters range could
be allocated.
* Fixed crash when a volume is unmounted while some files are open.
* SConscript now respects AR and RANLIB environment variables.
* Improved error handling.

Linux:

* Enabled big_writes. This improves write speed (larger block size means
less switches between kernel- and user-space).
* Do BLKROGET ioctl to make sure the device is not read-only: after
"blockdev --setro" kernel still allows to open the device in read-write
mode but fails writes.

OS X:

* Fixed OS X 10.8 support.
* Switched to 64-bit inode numbers (now Mac OS X 10.5 or later is required).
* Switched from unmaintained MacFUSE to OSXFUSE (http://osxfuse.github.com).
* Fixed device size detection. Now mkfs works.
* Workarounded some utilities failures due to missing chmod() support.
* Disabled (senseless) permission checks made by FUSE.

--
Andrew Nayenko <res...@gmail.com>

mhac...@gmail.com

Jan 21, 2013, 4:59:18 PM1/21/13
to ex...@googlegroups.com
Andrew,

Would you mind exchanging a few emails on this? I can be reached at mhac...@gmail.com. Thanks!

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if commercial enterprises could take advantage of this (and if they did, risk a patent lawsuit if they ship in the U.S.?) or if this is more for developers/hobbyists.

-Mark

pust...@gmail.com

Jan 22, 2013, 9:21:25 AM1/22/13
to ex...@googlegroups.com, mhac...@gmail.com

Basically, I'm trying to figure out if commercial enterprises could take advantage of this (and if they did, risk a patent lawsuit if they ship in the U.S.?) or if this is more for developers/hobbyists.

I am also interested in this, as well as other companies might be. Could you please keep this discussion in the open?

Andrew Nayenko

Jan 22, 2013, 11:57:31 AM1/22/13
to ex...@googlegroups.com, mhac...@gmail.com
Hi,

> Andrew,
>
> Would you mind exchanging a few emails on this? I can be reached at
> mhac...@gmail.com. Thanks!
>
> Basically, I'm trying to figure out if commercial enterprises could take
> advantage of this (and if they did, risk a patent lawsuit if they ship in
> the U.S.?) or if this is more for developers/hobbyists.

I don't know. You should consult a lawyer. I run this project just for
fun and don't care about patents because I'm not a U.S. resident.

--
Andrew Nayenko <res...@gmail.com>