Ewing Photographs

Shirley Wild

Aug 5, 2014, 10:09:45 PM8/5/14
to Ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com
Hi, my names Shirley Wild. My family bought a home owned by John Ewing in Enfield, CT, back in the 1930s. We recently emptied the barn/shed that was on our property and found some beautiful old leather photograph albums with hundreds of very old family photos. There are few with names but Scotland materials were in with the materials. I brought them back to my home in Florida and would love to have them returned to the right family.

Looking forward to hearing from someone about these.

Shirley Wild
941-729-6853
wild...@verizon.net

Martin Ewing

Aug 5, 2014, 10:21:00 PM8/5/14
to Shirley Wild, Ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Shirley,

Thanks for contacting our group, the Ewing Family Association.  I'm sure one of us would like to take a look at these materials.  We maintain an archive at the Anderson County Public Library in Ft Wayne, IN, where these materials could be placed, if they seem to have historical interest among the Ewings.

My Ewing ancestors are from central Mass.  (Holyoke, Northampton)  It's not impossible there's a connection with my branch, though I don't know of a "missing" John.  I assume you don't have any genealogical data with the photos?

In any case, I'd be happy to take a look and pass them on to the archive if appropriate.  Unless one of our other members steps forward! :-)

Martin Ewing
Branford, CT
203-315-5160
ew...@alum.mit.edu

David Ewing

Aug 5, 2014, 10:28:17 PM8/5/14
to Shirley Wild, Ewing Family Association
[[I see that Martin posted a message as I was writing this. He misspoke--the library in question is the Allen County Public Library.]]

What wonderful news, Shirley! The Ewing Family Association has made arrangements for the Allen County Public Library in Ft. Wayne, IN, to maintain a major collection of Ewing materials covering all the known Ewing lines. We have been encouraging anyone who discovers a treasure trove of the kind you describe to donate it to the library. Or if you would feel more comfortable, someone on our archives committee or the EFA genealogist could certainly be persuaded to review the materials before doing that.

As it happens, our biennial gathering is in Ft. Wayne this year, at the end of next month. I am hopeful that one of our members from Florida may be coming to the gathering and that we will be able to arrange for him or her to transport the materials there, if you would like that. Maybe someone will step forward after seeing these messages.

Thanks for writing,

David Neal Ewing

Shirley Wild
941-729-6853
wild...@verizon.net

--
Visit the main EFA site at http://www.ewingfamilyassociation.org
---

Leslie

Aug 6, 2014, 12:31:43 AM8/6/14
to ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com
Virginia and I are both coming to the gathering.  She is in Lake Wales (I think) and I am near Ocala.  We will be traveling together.  Either of us would be willing to travel to pick up the photographs.

Leslie

Steve Ewing

Aug 6, 2014, 7:54:40 AM8/6/14
to Leslie, ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com, stewart...@verizon.net, ginny spina
Leslie, Hello. My name is Steve Ewing. I am a member of the Ewing Family Association. My Ewing relatives lived North of Enfield in the same area as Martin's relatives. I'm copying this chain of e-mails to my cousins Dottie and Ginny who might know more about this John you mention. I want to thank you for hanging on and reaching out. It is very thoughtful of you as these photos might not mean much to the average person they could mean a lot to our extended Ewing family.
All the best, Steve

On Tue, Aug 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM, Leslie <leslie...@gmail.com> wrote:
Virginia and I are both coming to the gathering.  She is in Lake Wales (I think) and I am near Ocala.  We will be traveling together.  Either of us would be willing to travel to pick up the photographs.

Leslie

Shirley Wild

Aug 6, 2014, 10:01:40 AM8/6/14
to ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com
Hi again,

Forgot to put down that I had found that Andrew Ewing was in the Enfield listing of the 1930 census as being born in 1850 in Scotland and immigrated in 1879.

Hope this helps

Shirley Wild

Shirley Wild

Aug 6, 2014, 10:01:40 AM8/6/14
to David Ewing, Ewing Family Association
Morning David and Martin,

I am so happy that you responded.  I am also into genealogy and would hate for this to have been ignored.

I, too, misspoke…….in looking at the mortgage papers the owner of the home was the estate of Andrew Ewing.  The papers were signed by Walter F. Payton, who I believe was a nephew or at least a family relative.  The reason John was fresh in my mind was in my research I found a John S. Ewing and Nancy P. Norton were writers of the book Broadlooms and Businessmen which is a history of the Bigelow Sanford carpet company in Thompsonville (Enfield), CT.  I believe they are somehow related to Andrew also.

A few items that I have:

1. One leather bound photograph album 9 x 11 x 3 and 11 1/2 by 9 by 2 1/4. Both had metal clasps but only a remains.  They were in a trunk in the top of the shed at 119 Pearl Street, Thompsonville (Enfield) CT for over 80 years at the minimum.  The outsides are not in great shape but the photos are totally ok.  I would venture to say that this family was probably well to do for the time as all the photos look to be professionally taken and are back to the 1800s

There are tin-types and “permanent chromotypes” also.  I see that some loose photos are from the studio of C.E. Perry, Artistic Photographer from Woodstock Ontario. Some from C.D. Fredricks & Co Galleries on Broadway in New York; Artist Photographer Miniature & Portrait Painter E. Greyson, Halifax and Talbot Road Blackpool; J. F. Long 45 High Street Exeter; F. Deane {photographer 32 Wincomb St., Opposite Humphrey’s Livery Stables, Cheltenham; a wonderful photo of a large home estate that I would say is England or Scotland, a number of postcard type cards from famous places in London; Brown Barnes Bell studios of London and Liverpool; Paris; Henry S. Wyer, Yonkers, NY; a great formal family photo with parents and 7 children th Thomas Ball photographer of Kiddeminster.

2. A small souvenir book called “Recollections of Malvern” by the Newman Company, London, dated 1873.

Whenever you find someone who would be willing to pick them up, I will have them ready.  We are just 15 miles from Sarasota and 45 minutes from Tampa.

Shirley M. Wild
9006 69th Ave. E.
Palmetto, FL  34221

Leslie

Aug 6, 2014, 12:15:43 PM8/6/14
to Shirley Wild, David Ewing, Ewing Family Association
Hi Shirley

I am near Ocala, but my son is in St Pete.  I know I will be down in that direction before going to the Ewing gathering in September. I may also have  to make a trip to Sanibel, so will be traveling  close to you then.

Right now, getting ready for a Texas trip, returning the 17th.

I will print your letter and call when I am headed that way.

Leslie Bagwell
352-216-9245

Steve Ewing

Aug 7, 2014, 7:41:06 AM8/7/14
to Shirley Wild, ewingfamily...@googlegroups.com
Shirley, That is helpful. Thanks
Steve Ewing

Shirley Wild

Steve Ewing

Oct 28, 2016, 8:01:11 AM10/28/16
to Shirley Wild, David Ewing, Ewing Family Association
David,

To jog your memory. Sorry about a few personal back and forths included.

Steve

Visit the main EFA site at http://www.ewingfamilyassociation.org
---

Steven C. Ewing
RFD 602 53 South Sixteenth Street
Edgartown, MA 02539

Steve Ewing

Oct 28, 2016, 8:50:27 AM10/28/16
to Shirley Wild, David Ewing, Ewing Family Association
Did not mean to forward this to the whole group, or to you Shirley. Since I did I should explain that I was wondering if anyone from the Ewing Family association ever picked up the above mentioned photos from Andrew Ewing's house in Enfield?

Best,
Steve

Visit this group at http://groups.google.com/group/ewingfamilyassociation.