New Evennia devel/merged branch: Not working on Windows

Tristano Ajmone

Mar 1, 2015, 6:13:54 PM3/1/15
to eve...@googlegroups.com
Something is not working out in Windows.

I have the usual Python + Virtualenv which worked fine with previous version.

Installation all goes fine until I get to "evennia -i start"

I get a quite long sequence of errors from evennia_runner.py, which culminate with a WindowsError [2] impossible to find the file (it's in italian, so I'm translating approximately). But the list also contains references to the normal python installation, so it seems that is not operating within the virtualenv as it should?

The bin/windows/evennia.bat doesn't come to aid either, it's something in the python evennia_runner file

I'll try it all over again, but I did follow instructions to the letter. I even tried different locations for the "evennia --init mygame" comand (which works in any case).

Below I've pasted the error's report from CMD shell...

Tristano

--------------------------

(virtualEvennia) D:\MOOs\Evennia\virtualEvennia\evennia\mygame>evennia -i start

0 static files copied to 'D:\MOOs\Evennia\virtualEvennia\evennia\mygame\web\static', 73 unmodified.

(virtualEvennia) D:\MOOs\Evennia\virtualEvennia\evennia\mygame>
Starting Evennia Server (output to stdout).

Starting Evennia Portal in Daemon mode (output to portal logfile).
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "d:\moos\evennia\virtualevennia\evennia\evennia\server\evennia_runner.py", line 331, in <module>
    main()
  File "d:\moos\evennia\virtualevennia\evennia\evennia\server\evennia_runner.py", line 328, in main
    start_services(server_argv, portal_argv)
  File "d:\moos\evennia\virtualevennia\evennia\evennia\server\evennia_runner.py", line 170, in start_services
    PORTAL = Popen(portal_argv, env=getenv())
  File "C:\Python27\Lib\subprocess.py", line 710, in __init__
    errread, errwrite)
  File "C:\Python27\Lib\subprocess.py", line 958, in _execute_child
    startupinfo)
WindowsError: [Error 2] Impossibile trovare il file specificato

(virtualEvennia) D:\MOOs\Evennia\virtualEvennia\evennia\mygame>

Griatch Art

Mar 1, 2015, 6:27:28 PM3/1/15
to eve...@googlegroups.com
I took the liberty to copying this into the issue tracker where it can be managed and closed properly. You can find the issue here: https://github.com/evennia/evennia/issues/681
.
Griatch

Tristano Ajmone

Mar 1, 2015, 6:49:01 PM3/1/15
to eve...@googlegroups.com
I've SOLVED IT!

It didn't create the "twistd.bat" file in the "game" folder.

So I created one using the correct path, and now it launches!

Strange ... it created the "evennia.bat" file, but not the Twisted bat !

Tristano Ajmone

Mar 1, 2015, 6:52:49 PM3/1/15
to eve...@googlegroups.com
yes, I confirm: it's runnign smoothly! And I like the new "intro", with the tutorial setup instructions!

Also looks more colorful (but might be just the excitement!!!)

So, nothing big really, it's just that twisted batch file.

Luckily I had kept one in my "Portable edition", so I just looked at it and reconstruced one with the new paths.

I really like the new package, with separation of Evennia and Custom-Mud folders, and all that...

Tristano Ajmone

Mar 1, 2015, 7:04:57 PM3/1/15
to eve...@googlegroups.com
Strange though ... the tutorial is behaving strangely:

[spoiler ahead!!!]

when I climb the tree, it tells me about the faint footpath and all, but when I am down on ground again I don't have access to the path. Last time I played it it revealed itself after the sighting from the tree....

Mhhhh....

Tristano Ajmone

Mar 1, 2015, 7:22:05 PM3/1/15
to eve...@googlegroups.com
yes, in all the tutorial it seems that new exits that were supposed to be revealed by some action or puzzle-solving don't show up as they should. For example, after solving the colored roots puzzle, the passage is mentioned in the solution text, and it can actually be reached after that, but it doesn't show up in the room description after solution. I'm not sure how it was before, but if I remember correctly, it showed up after solution...

Griatch Art

Mar 2, 2015, 4:48:18 AM3/2/15
to eve...@googlegroups.com
Please make an Issue for outright bugs like this so that it can be properly tracked.
.
Griatch