Playable Combat Draft

Dan Feeney

Nov 8, 2016, 10:02:27 AM11/8/16
to Evennia
Greetings,

I've been working this summer on implementing combat for Ainneve, and have finished a first draft of it.

So far, there haven't been any comments on the PR for it, and Griatch suggested reaching out to everyone here to ask for some play testing, code review, and to get general feedback on it.

Combat is based on Open Adventure rules, as is all of Ainneve, and I've written a detailed description of what has been implemented and what has not in the Ainneve wiki: Combat v0.1

For those who are interested in play testing the proposed combat branch, below are instructions for checking out the branch out of my github account. This assumes you already have cloned the main Ainneve github project locally. If you have not, see the Getting Started pages for both Evennia and Ainneve before continuing.

From your ainneve game directory, run:

git remote add feend78 https://github.com/feend78/ainneve.git
git fetch feend78
git checkout
-b combat feend78/combat

The branch contains significant changes to a number of basic typeclasses. I recommend starting with a fresh database, so delete the ainneve/server/evennia.db3 file.

Go to the ainneve/server/conf directory and first run

evennia migrate

then

evennia -i start

Create a superuser at the prompt, then log in. When you go to puppet your superuser, it will launch the character creation menu. Even the superuser needs the proper traits set up.

When you have completed character creation, your superuser will be deposited in Limbo. Build the Central Riverport area by running:

@batchcommand riverport.central

Take some time to explore the area. If you can't find anyone/anything to fight, you can always spawn some enemies of your own. The following commands will generate creatures to fight.

@spawn 'WOLF'
@spawn 'SPIDER'
@spawn 'RAT'
@spawn 'RABBIT'
@spawn 'DEER'
@spawn 'ORC'
@spawn 'GOBLIN'

Unfortunately, we have not yet added combat AI for NPCs, so they will only sit there and let you massacre them. You may want to set the interval property to a lower value in the CombatHandler script (in typeclasses/combat_handler.py) if the two minute timeout is too long during testing.

So that should be it. I'd love to hear some feedback on it. Thanks!

-feend78

Dan Feeney

Nov 9, 2016, 11:26:06 AM11/9/16
to Evennia
I have set up an online instance of the current combat branch. It is available at

If you have feedback on it, please comment on the Pull Request, found at https://github.com/evennia/ainneve/pull/86

Gregory Taylor

Nov 10, 2016, 2:44:18 AM11/10/16
to eve...@googlegroups.com
You read my mind, good call! I'll have to stop by and poke at it soon. Not at all familiar with Open Adventures, though.