construct gene trees

yizi yang

Jun 2, 2012, 12:23:07 PM6/2/12
to The ETE toolkit
Hi, everyone

Thanks a lot for help.

I would like to construct gene trees for orthologous gene. Some rooted
trees are built using Phyml. These trees will be exported to ETE for
gene trees. However I do not know how to handle it. Could anyone
offer me any suggestion and information?

Best Regards

Yizi

Jaime Huerta Cepas

Jun 4, 2012, 9:21:06 AM6/4/12
to eteto...@googlegroups.com
Hello Yizi,

could you be a bit more specific about what you need? Orthology & paralagy prediction, programmatic rooting, relative node dating...? Or perhaps you just want to learn how load newick trees into python Tree objects. Please, let us know a bit more about your problem so we can try to help you.

cheers,

Jaime

yizi yang

Jun 6, 2012, 12:28:26 AM6/6/12
to eteto...@googlegroups.com
Dear Jaime,

Thank you a lot for help!

I got some protein sequences expressed by orthologous genes from multiple species. These proteins are compared and grouped by OrthoMCL. I would like to infer the evolutionary history of these orthologous genes in the form of tree. I know that some gene trees can be constructed under the guide of associated species trees, since we know species phylogenies. Method used in TreeBest is one example of them, but I think it is a old program.

I also heard that some gene trees were built using PhyML with the help of ETE toolkit. It is easy for me to build a rooted tree using the latest version of PhyML, but I do not know how to improve tree topology under the guide of species phylogenies using ETE toolkit.

Could you offer me any suggestion and information?

Thanks again!

Yizi

Francois Serra

Jun 6, 2012, 11:32:23 AM6/6/12
to eteto...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yizi,

Then, you have a species tree, and a set of orthologous genes from which your are able to generate a gene tree using phyml. ETE won't improve the topology phyml gives you, however you will be able to see quickly if the orthology/paralogy relationship is repected in your gene tree. Here there is a simple example on how to do this (you can forget about the part of the alignment "alg", it is not necessary for the tree reconciliation):
http://packages.python.org/ete2/tutorial/tutorial_phylogeny.html#visualization-of-phylogenetic-trees

(I do not know about TreeBest, but what they are showing in their frontpage, is very similar)

hope this helps :)

regards,

francois

On 06/06/2012 06:28 AM, yizi yang wrote:
Dear Jaime,

Thank you a lot for help!

I got some protein sequences expressed by orthologous genes from multiple species. These proteins are compared and grouped by OrthoMCL. I would like to infer the evolutionary history of these orthologous genes in the form of tree. I know that some gene trees can be constructed under the guide of associated species trees, since we know species phylogenies. Method used in

yizi yang

Jun 7, 2012, 11:39:32 AM6/7/12
to eteto...@googlegroups.com
Dear Francois,