Esprima 1.x and 2.x

Ariya Hidayat

Mar 27, 2014, 10:56:24 AM3/27/14
to esp...@googlegroups.com
Folks,

From the most recent 1.1 release and seeing the feedback we got so
far, I've concluded that a possibly better model for Esprima's future
releases is as follows.

Branch 1.x will continue the 1.0 and 1.1 series, with focus on
performance, spec compliance, and of course bug fixes. There is also a
huge emphasize on compatibility here. Furthermore, 1.x is only about
ECMAScript 5.

The new master, which bears the version 2.x
(https://code.google.com/p/esprima/issues/detail?id=513), will start
to introduce ECMAScript 6 features. We will do it peacemeal, taking
features which are known to be more or less stabilized in the most
recent draft spec. In a few cases, this is a matter of bringing in the
existing implementation from the experimental harmony branch.

To set a good example, I prepared an issue for arrow function
(https://code.google.com/p/esprima/issues/detail?id=517). For every
feature, we need to document the official grammar and how it is being
handled in Mozilla Reflect API.

By doing a small step at a time, both for 1.x and master, hopefully we
can have more frequent future releases. In addition, I'm optimistic
that bug fixes and performance improvement can be still forward-ported
and back-ported between these two.

Feedback is warmly welcomed!

Thank you.

Best regards,

--
Ariya Hidayat, http://ariya.ofilabs.com
http://twitter.com/ariyahidayat

Michał Gołębiowski

May 7, 2014, 1:22:22 PM5/7/14
to esp...@googlegroups.com
Seems fine. Should we report issues about stabilized features to be included to 2.x?

Ariya Hidayat

May 7, 2014, 2:58:03 PM5/7/14
to esp...@googlegroups.com
> Seems fine. Should we report issues about stabilized features to be included
> to 2.x?

If you refer to the features already included in 2.x, yes that should
be opened as a bug.

If you propose a feature to be included in 2.x, then follow the step
like in issue #517.