ESOS Project Update (July 2014)

Marc Smith

Jul 24, 2014, 12:48:50 AM7/24/14
to esos-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

Its been a while since I've shared any updates with the group, so now's as good a time as any. Below is a list of the highlights that have occurred over the last year or so (in mostly chronological order, most recent at the top):

- Additional debugging options/features added to the .esos-debug kernel (kgdb and kdb support).
- Updated SCST resource agent (RA) to accept different ALUA states (for Master/Slave).
- Added support for Chelsio FCoE adapters (T4/T5) as SCST targets via Uwire package (build option).
- The 'esos_logs' file system will automatically expand into free space on boot so you can now fully utilize a 4+ GB USB flash drive.
- New installer script (install.vbs) for Windows platforms.
- Package archives are now produced as ".zip" files to accommodate non-Linux platforms.
- Kernel and SCST version bumps (new SCST includes 'COMPARE AND WRITE' supporting VAAI).
- Serial console support.
- Several TUI usability enhancements.
- Several enhancements to the "health check" script for checking PDs.
- Added makedumpfile for better kernel crash dump [capture] support.
- New "main screen" in the TUI that shows target information and basic session statistics.
- Lots of modifications to the ESOS build system: greater compatibility with other Linux distributions.
- ESOS can now be built with make jobs >1 (greatly reduces build time).
- Added support for gdb and valgrind as build options.
- Added support for the Emulex OCS SDK target driver (ocs_fc_scst) which supports Emulex Fibre Channel and FCoE adapters; this is an optional build and requires the OCS SDK from Emulex.
- Enabled kernel options to support virtualized environments (VMware + MS Hyper-V drivers).
- The "Add Initiator" dialog now allows you to select from visible initiators that the ESOS host can "see" (established sessions) instead of having to manually type them.
- Added support for performing an in-place upgrade of ESOS.
- A number of new software packages were added: GNU tar, NUT (UPS tools), NRPE, sysstat (for iostat), pcituils (for lspci), net-snmp (SNMP support -- work still needed), smartmontools, cryptsetup, ethtool, and support dependencies.
- New block layer add-ons: bcache, EnhanceIO, BTIER, and dm-cache.
- An agent for collecting performance stats and uploading them to an external database (MySQL, PostgreSQL): perf-agent (thanks Marcin).
- Added the StorCLI proprietary RAID CLI tools (for LSI Syncro controllers).
- Increased TUI functionality for Linux bonding and bridge interfaces.

What's next:
- I'm still pushing to create a stable branch of ESOS late this summer, or early fall. There are still a few things I want to wrap up before doing this (resolve any open issues/requests, more TUI code clean-up, update the wiki documentation, etc.).
- Once we have a stable branch, enhancing and growing the TUI will be a big focus. We have a very useful base system, but the UI needs a lot of TLC. Some TUI ideas I'm toying with: LVM storage provisioning functions, supporting all proprietary (hardware) RAID controllers via a wrapper to generalize/abstract the functions of each, performance/health monitoring statistics screens (eg, iostat like), and many more... lots of possibilities!

--Marc