Attaching files from PC to ERP items

John Roberts

Feb 21, 2013, 11:38:41 AM2/21/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone

I'm new to the forum so first off hello and congratulations on what looks like a great management tool.

I have seen posts regarding subject from 2010 in the forum, but I can't find anything more up to date, so here goes:

Is it possible to "attach" a local PC file to an item in ERP ?
For example, but not limited to, an MSDS or Product Brochure for a Raw Material / Product.

Thanks in advance, & once again ... excelent work !!

Regards

John

Rushabh Mehta

Feb 21, 2013, 11:19:03 PM2/21/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Thanks John,

Yes - When you open an Item, in the right sidebar, you should see a section called "Attachments". You can click on the "+" button to upload an attachment.

best,
Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

Paul Stary

Feb 22, 2013, 1:11:19 PM2/22/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
John,

Unlike most other apps where an attached file is ONLY available as a download, ERPNext does it right. When you click on the file name (link), the document opens in a new browser tab if it is a common document that your browser (preferably Chrome for speed) can open.

Here is a list of the document types that Chrome can open. Whatever it doesn't open, you can upload to Google Drive and link to the Drive file.
  • Microsoft Office files (read-only): .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .xls, .xlsx
  • Media: .3gp, .avi, .mov, .mp4, .m4v, .m4a, .mp3, .ogv, .ogm, .ogg, .oga, .webm, .wav
  • Images: .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .webp
  • Compressed files: .zip, .rar, .tar, .tar.gz (.tgz), .tar.bz2 (.tbz2)
  • Other: .txt, .pdf
If you want to download the file for some reason, just hold the ALT key down when clicking on the link.

The ability to add attachments is not initially available in all forms, but using Setup > Customize Form you can both add this capability and set the maximum number of documents you want users to attach to record of that type (see attached image).

Items already has Attachments selected.

Enjoy ERPNext!

-----
Paul Stary
Virtual-E Corporation
Setting Attachments.gif

John Roberts

Feb 23, 2013, 6:34:14 AM2/23/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rushabh and Paul

I see what you are saying, and the actualy funcionality is exactly what I needed.

I had a GUI issue with stock items in that when you add an image for item, the "+" button to add another attachment in right hand sidebar is no longer displayed, hence my initial confusion.

Thanks again

John

Rushabh Mehta

Feb 23, 2013, 12:15:23 PM2/23/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
John,

You can increase number of attachments from Setup > Customize Form View > [select Item] > update "Max Attachments"

- Rushabh

W: https://erpnext.com
T: @rushabh_mehta

John Roberts

Feb 25, 2013, 6:40:58 AM2/25/13
to erpnext-u...@googlegroups.com
Hi Rushabh

Yes, that got the "+" button back where I expected it.

Thanks !!

John

John Roberts
Tel: +34 645 84 25 71
Skype: john.easyroad
john@easyroad.es | www.easyroad.es

Easy Road S.L.
Calle de Torres Quevedo, 8
28108 Alcobendas, Madrid (Spain)
Tel: +34 91 183 53 51 / +34 902 88 46 17

Firma-Correo.png