*[Enwl-eng] The Drought in Cape Town, South Africa

ENWLine

Feb 3, 2018, 9:18:05 AM2/3/18
to "ENWL-uni"

Learn why Cape Town could be the first major city in the developed world to run out of water.

CAPE TOWN'S WATER CRISIS

Learn more about the drought gripping Cape Town, South Africa and how it's connected to the climate crisis.

LEARN MORE

,

Cape Town, South Africa is in the throes of a years-long drought that could earn it a truly alarming distinction: it may become the first major city in the developed world to run out of water.

What’s going on?

South Africa is experiencing its worst drought in a century. The six dams that supply Cape Town’s water have dropped to just 15.2 percent capacity of usable water – down from 77 percent in September 2015.

How is this climate change related?

As our world warms, precipitation patterns are changing, leaving many places without the amount of rainfall they need to replenish rivers, dams, and reservoirs. Climate change further worsens drought because as temperatures rise, evaporation increases. And when this evaporation happens over land, soils dry out.

LEARN MORE ABOUT DROUGHT AND THE WATER CYCLE

To learn more about how climate change increases the risk of drought and affects the water cycle, download our Climate Change and the Water Cycle: Four Big Questions Answered e-book.

In the e-book, we explain how climate change increases the risk of severe drought, which is exactly what Cape Town residents are experiencing. While all of Cape Town’s citizens are feeling the impact of the drought, the city’s lower-income residents are bearing the brunt.

Ready to take action? Start by downloading Climate Change and the Water Cycle: Four Big Questions Answered to learn more about what’s happening to the water cycle and what you can do to make a difference for the future of our planet.

- Your friends at Climate Reality

HOW IS THE WATER CYCLE LINKED TO CLIMATE CHANGE?

DOWNLOAD OUR E-BOOK TO FIND OUT

© 2018 The Climate Reality Project
DONATE

Sent: Friday, February 02, 2018 2:12 AM