*[Enwl-eng] Basic income in Russia

1 view

ENWL

Mar 25, 2020, 8:41:57 PM3/25/20
to "ENWL-uni"

As COVID-19 emergency measures intensify, the EU must act immediately to prevent millions from sliding into poverty in Russia and across the EU.

Sign the urgent petition for a Europe-wide unconditional basic income now!

 Sign the petition

EU countries are taking necessary precautions to protect people from COVID-19 -- but if we don’t act soon, those precautions could leave millions stranded with no job or safety net.

We don’t have time for complicated applications or huge stimulus packages that put corporations first. We need emergency relief for ordinary people put out of work by the mass shutdowns -- right now, before we can no longer afford housing or to feed our families.

There’s a simple answer: an unconditional basic income for everyone affected by COVID-19 -- essentially a liveable income guarantee, in addition to existing welfare provisions, to cover lost income. The EU has the means and authority to make this happen. All it needs is a big push from you and me, before that money goes toward yet another corporate bailout.

Add your name to demand an emergency unconditional basic income in Russia and across the EU!

If COVID-19 shutdowns haven’t affected you or someone you know yet, it’s only a matter of time. From restaurant workers and tour guides to hairdressers and music teachers, people all over the continent are wondering how they’re going to be able to pay their next bill.

EU countries pride themselves on their strong social safety nets, but the coronavirus crisis is proving that even those have limits. The time has come for something different.

And here’s the thing: basic income is no longer that radical of an idea. Even in the US and UK politicians are admitting it might be the only way to prevent countless citizens from falling into poverty. Why not here, too?

Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures -- and it’s up to you and me to make sure that the measures the EU takes are the right ones. Please, will you join us and demand an unconditional basic income for Europeans affected by COVID-19?

Yes, I'll sign the emergency petition for basic income now.

 Sign the petition

Thanks for all that you do,
David and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Wednesday, March 25, 2020 8:56 PM
Subject: Basic income in Russia