*[Enwl-eng] [can-eecca] Fwd: Long-Term Climate Strategies MayNewsletter 2018

ENWLine

May 28, 2018, 11:40:08 AM5/28/18
to "ENWL-uni"

World Resources Institute
Climate Digest

Was this forwarded to you? Subscribe to the newsletter here.

Climate Action Today with Tomorrow in Mind

Welcome to the first edition of our monthly newsletter focused on mid-century, long-term low-GHG emission development strategies or long-term strategies under the Paris Agreement.

Learn more about our resources for decision-makers to re-think development pathways toward zero-carbon emissions and climate resiliency.  And watch our standing-room only launch event at the Bonn climate talks in May with representatives from Canada, Lebanon, Mexico, South Africa and UK as well as our advisory committee: UN Climate Change (UNFCCC), United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), NDC Partnership, 2050 Pathways Platform and the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ).

Expert Perspectives: In Climate Action, as in Chess, Forethought Wins

To gain deeper understanding on the purpose and elements of long-term strategies, we asked the experts below to respond to this writing prompt with key questions in designing long-term climate plans.  You can find more than 40 Expert Perspectives on our new website covering themes such as the integration of adaptation in LTS, linkages to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and Financing. Look for more to be posted over the coming months.

"Thinking now about long-term emission pathways to meet the ambition of the Paris Agreement is not at all a complacent distraction from the problem at hand; to the contrary, it could help us arrive at a comprehensive solution."

Laurence Tubiana
CEO, European Climate Foundation and Convener of the 2050
Read Laurence’s Expert Perspective

"Long-term strategies help align the goals and targets with national, regional, and international objectives such as national development plans, regional development plans, and sustainable development goals (SDGs)."

Read Mafalda's Expert Perspective

Mafalda Duarte
Climate Investment Funds
Head

Lord Nicholas Stern
IG Patel Professor of Economics and Government, London School of Economics; Chair of the Grantham Research Institute on Climate Change and the Environment
"This should be approached in a spirit that recognises that this is the only real growth story that can be sustained, that there is a great urgency for action on scale, and that change can and must be both radical and measured."

Read Lord Stern's Expert Perspective

What’s New in LTS? EU, G20, Marshall Islands, UK and more

At the annual meeting of the 2050 Pathways Platform, ministers from Finland, France, Germany, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Portugal and Sweden called on the European Commission to prepare an ambitious long-term 2050 strategy by early 2019 and commit to a just and integrated transition for all.  You can read a summary of the April meeting proceedings and view the presentations here.

From the former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia, to Slovakia, Montenegro and Estonia, to New Zealand, Greece and the Marshall Islands, countries highlighted their plans to formulate 2050 strategies during May’s Talanoa Dialogue in answer to the questions: Where are we? Where do we want to go? And how do we get there? The Maldives asked for a political outcome at COP24 to include a reaffirmation of the importance of LTS.  And as head of this year’s G20, Argentina emphasized its leadership role in putting LTS firmly on the agenda while also embarking on formulating its own 2050 plan. Could the momentum for pre-2020 submissions of Long-term Strategies be growing?

And in case you missed it, the United Kingdom formally communicated its Clean Growth Strategy to the UNFCCC in April.  Listen to long-time UK climate planner Tony Ripley talk about how it was developed at our official side event in Bonn.  With the Czech Republic’s Climate Protection Policy submitted earlier this year, the number of countries that have submitted LTS to the UNFCCC comes to eight.

Reading List

Two new publications give valuable insights to those thinking about social transition in their low-carbon strategies. The new ILO report, World Employment and Social Outlook 2018: Greening with Jobs predicts the creation of 24 million new jobs by 2030 and recommends that unemployment protection be part of any long-term strategic climate planning.  Involving Trade Unions in Climate Action to Build a Just Transition – a 48-page guide by the European Trade Union Confederation - includes recommendations on skills development and governance.

Looking Ahead

Movin’On, the World Summit on Sustainable Mobility
Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Focused on low-carbon transport and the implementation of a global macro-roadmap to achieve clean and sustainable mobility by 2050.

Global Meeting on Long-term Low GHG Emissions and Development Strategies
July 10-11, 2018
Bangkok, Thailand

Co-hosted by WRI, 2050 Pathways Platform, LEDS GP, NDC Partnership, UN Climate Change and UNDP (By invitation only).
Contact:
 Cynthia Elliott

Linking the SDG and LTS Agendas
July 19, 2018 (TBC)

Breakfast discussion with representatives from countries, research institutions and civil society organizations convened by WRI and others, in New York, in the margins of the High Level Political Forum on Sustainable Development.
Contact:
 Mathilde Bouyé

ADDRESS
10 G Street NE Suite 800
Washington, DC 20002, USA
PHONE +1 (202) 729-7600
FAX +1 (202) 729-7686

DEVELOPED BY

This project is developed by World Resources Institute and United Nations Development Programme, working closely with UN Climate Change. It serves as a contribution to the 2050 Pathways Platform and is undertaken in collaboration with the NDC Partnership.  We greatly appreciate the support provided by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) that has made this project possible.  We also appreciate the support from the German Federal Ministry for the Environment, Nature Conservation and Nuclear Safety (BMU) for related publications and communications.

--
Network Development and Outreach Department
Regional Campaigns Communications Officer EECCA