*[Enwl-eng] Save this living miracle

ENWLine

Sep 19, 2017, 12:23:08 PM9/19/17
to "ENWL-uni"
He's selling huge chunks of protected Amazon forest to corrupt businessmen in return for political favour. But we can stop it
SIGN HERE

Brazil's leader is selling huge chunks of protected Amazon forest to corrupt businessmen in return for political favour. But we can stop it together -- if we help create an international scandal that sinks his already tanking national approval rating. 900,000 Brazilians have already signed on -- let's make this the largest campaign in history to save the Amazon!
SIGN HERE
Dear friends,

Red Alert! Brazil's leader is trying to sell huge chunks of protected Amazon forest to corrupt businessmen in return for political favour -- the last was half the size of Germany!

But there’s a way we can stop him. He's already in crisis, suffering from unbelievably low approval ratings and under constant fire in the media for corruption and attacks on the environment.

This week, he's heading to the UN General Assembly to try and drum up a positive round of global press. Let's ruin his plans by showing up in NYC with two million signatures and a headline-grabbing stunt, and send him home with only one option to save his political career: stop killing the Amazon.

Don't let Brazil kill the Amazon!

The Amazon is a living miracle. It’s home to one in ten of the species on Earth, produces more than 20% of our oxygen, and we can’t stop climate change without it.

But right now this essential ecosystem and the indigenous people who call it home are paying the price for a dirty political game. President Temer is selling off pieces of the forest for logging and farming to gain political favour from powerful businesspeople and members of Congress. He needs their protection because he’s historically unpopular, and under investigation for corruption himself!

Scientists say moves like this could tip the whole Amazon into catastrophic crisis -- warning the whole forest ecosystem could collapse!

Brazil will be in the spotlight as they open a UN leaders meeting in days, and we’ll pull out all the stops in New York to put Amazon protection at the top of the agenda every time Temer shows his face. Over 900,000 Brazilians have already signed on -- let’s back their massive campaign:

Don't let Brazil kill the Amazon!

Brazilian Avaazers have a history of making miracles -- we helped passed the country's first sweeping anti-corruption reform, and we helped bring down one of the most "untouchable" politicians who tried to shield himself from public accountability. Now we've built one of the biggest national campaigns we’ve ever seen -- so let’s take it global and save the Amazon!

With hope and determination,

Diego, Laura, Flora, Nana, and Carol, with the rest of the Avaaz team

More information:

Brazilian court blocks abolition of vast Amazon reserve (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/30/brazilian-court-blocks-abolition-of-vast-amazon-reserve

Brazil abolishes huge Amazon reserve in 'biggest attack' in 50 years (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/aug/24/brazil-abolishes-huge-amazon-reserve-in-biggest-attack-in-50-years

Temer pushes Amazon deforestation bill in Brazil (Financial Times)
https://www.ft.com/content/1435c6ae-6b6a-11e7-bfeb-33fe0c5b7eaa

Activists decry Temer's Amazon deforestation bill (Al Jazeera)
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/07/activists-decry-temer-amazon-deforestation-bill-170722042156015.html

Avaaz is a 44-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 3:36 PM
Subject: Save this living miracle