*[Enwl-eng] Our national heritage: reserve or Gazprom?

ENWLine

Aug 18, 2017, 9:03:25 PM8/18/17
to "ENWL-uni"

Gazprom plans to build a giant gas pipeline directly through the Kurgalsky nature reserve!
Sign the Petition

Gazprom plans to build a giant gas pipeline directly through the Kurgalsky nature reserve! With a public hearing on the project coming up, let's make it clear that Russia's national heritage is nature, not Gazprom. Add your name to protect Russia's astonishing nature:
Sign the Petition
Dear friends across Russia,

Gazprom wants to cram a massive gas pipeline right through our own Kurgalsky Natural Reserve, filled with endangered eagles, seals and old growth trees. But, we have a chance to stop it now!

Building the pipeline through the reserve is completely illegal - but gas lobbyists have successfully managed to skirt the regulations. Now, Gazprom is battling to change the protected status of the whole reserve, so they could begin to bulldozer through 4 km of forest.

But Gazprom is weary of a major scandal and public pressure will dissuade them.The era of being untouchable is over – criticized inside the country and abroad, the company cannot afford another fiasco. Let’s unite our voices in a call to the Ministry of Natural Resources to protect our astonishing nature
ahead of a public hearing just weeks away:

Protect the Kurgalsky reserve!

Gazprom has been destroying pristine places for profit for decades, and with impunity. But, their grip is waning. We have leverage to win.

Protecting Kurgalsky can be a game-changer
: if Gazprom is backed into a corner now - they’ll have to take heed in the future and respect Russian and international rule of law.

Join the call now – and tell everybody! Kurgalsky is our natural heritage – not Gazprom, though it pretends to be. Let’s save the natural beauty from the gas profiteers:

Protect the Kurgalsky reserve!

Our community has come together to protect natural treasures in the region and across the globe - from Lake Baikal to Antarctica’s Ross Sea to Hawaii’s Papahānaumokuākea. Now, let's do it again!

With hope and determination,

Christoph, Nataliya, Emma, Fatima, Denis, Elana and the rest of the Avaaz team

More Information:

Russia’s Pipeline Power (Politico)
http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/06/20/russia-pipeline-power-000460

Gazprom Pushes Ahead With Nord Stream 2 Pipeline to Germany (WSJ)
https://www.wsj.com/articles/gazprom-pushes-ahead-with-nord-stream-2-pipeline-to-germany-1480002266

Nord Stream 2 “useless and illegal”, say environment experts (Client Earth)
https://www.clientearth.org/nord-stream-2-useless-and-illegal/

Avaaz is a 44-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Friday, August 18, 2017 11:46 PM
Subject: Our national heritage: reserve or Gazprom?