*[Enwl-eng] 15,000 scientists’ SOS

ENWLine

Nov 29, 2017, 9:03:04 AM11/29/17
to "ENWL-uni"

Hi, resending in case you can’t give weekly, but want to donate a small amount today to save our living planet -- every donation counts.

----
Dear friends,

15,000 scientists just sent out an SOS -- a "warning to humanity" that if we don't stop polluting, our planet is doomed.

The facts are terrifying: species are going extinct at 1000 times the natural rate. 90% of the Great Barrier Reef is dead or dying. Oceans are so choked with plastic that fish are addicted to eating it.

But scientists have discovered something else -- a kind of miracle that could save us. If we can protect 50% of our planet from human exploitation, our ecosystem will be able to stabilise and regenerate. Life on earth will recover!

Our governments have already promised to protect a quarter of the planet, so we know it’s possible. But no other global movement is championing this miracle recovery plan!

It’s up to us.

If 50,000 of us chip in now we can make the proposal famous, face down the polluters and poachers, and campaign to get our leaders to drive through the plan to save the planet at a Global Summit on Biodiversity.

Chip in now -- let’s bring this miracle recovery plan for our planet to life:

Right now we’re destroying intricate ecosystems and hurtling towards tipping points that’ll collapse the delicate balance of life on earth, making it uninhabitable for humans. Protecting 50% of the planet would unleash the magic of nature and turn things around -- but almost no one knows about the extent of this crisis, or this inspiring proposal.

Many conservation experts already agree it's exactly what the planet needs now. And the crucial Biodiversity Summit in 2020 could adopt it as a global goal.

But it won't happen without us.

Avaaz has the national depth, global breadth, and ambition to drive forward a huge idea like this. When we first launched our 100% clean energy campaign in 2013, many said it was unrealistic. But in 24 months, every government in the world agreed with us.

We’ve got 24 months again. Chip in what you can, we can’t let this warning to humanity fall on deaf ears:

Our movement doesn't have enormous amounts of money, but time and again, with thousands of small donations, we’re able to turn the common sense of scientists into a public movement that makes political leaders listen. Let’s each chip in today and drive this miracle idea into the mainstream, to save our living planet.

With hope and determination,

Danny, Alice, Allison, Marigona, Ricken, Iain, and the rest of the Avaaz team

More information:

More than 15,000 scientists from 184 countries issue 'warning to humanity' (CBC)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/15000-scientists-warning-to-humanity-1.4395767

Could we set aside half the Earth for nature? (The Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/radical-conservation/2016/jun/15/could-we-set-aside-half-the-earth-for-nature

Sixth mass extinction? Two-thirds of wildlife may be gone by 2020: WWF (CNN)
http://www.cnn.com/2016/10/26/world/wild-animals-disappear-report-wwf/index.html

How many species are we losing? (WWF)
http://wwf.panda.org/about_our_earth/biodiversity/biodiversity/

Avaaz is a 44-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 5:11 PM
Subject: 15,000 scientists’ SOS