*[Enwl-eng] Facebook

ENWLine

Aug 20, 2020, 8:17:32 PM8/20/20
to "ENWL-uni"

Fake news on Facebook is causing violence, breaking elections, and stoking division. But the EU is finally considering new laws to rein in the lies. It's launched a consultation to see what people think -- let's flood it with calls for tougher rules before the tech lobbyists sink their teeth in:

 Take action now

Disinformation and conspiracy theories on Facebook are out of control -- driving violence, threatening elections, and tearing the fabric of our social order. But Europe could finally be on the edge of a breakthrough in dealing with it.

The EU is exploring legislation that could force tech companies like Facebook to clamp down on the lies and hate swamping the internet -- and they’ve launched a public consultation to see what people think.

Profit-mad internet platforms are pushing for the weakest regulations possible. If we don’t flood the consultation with people calling for tougher rules, they’re sure to win out.

Will you take a few minutes to fill in the EU’s survey and call for tough action on Facebook? We’ve put together a simple user guide to help you through it.

Yes I'll take 10 minutes to fight hate and disinformation online

The stakes couldn’t be higher -- targeted disinformation online has already stoked the far-right, helped put Trump in office, even facilitated genocide. In India, dozens have been murdered in brutal mob lynchings after racist lies and child kidnapping rumours went viral on WhatsApp.

The internet giants say they’re taking action, but they still profit directly from algorithms that promote shocking and divisive content -- tech platforms make a billion dollars a year from anti-vaccine followers alone!

Countries like the UK and Canada have promised to act on hate speech and disinformation -- but they’ve been dithering. If we can get the EU to take a stand it could finally push them to move and set off a chain reaction across the world.

Tell the EU to stand up to the tech giants

We know our community can work together to get Europe to act for the wider good -- like when we won a historic ban on bee-killing pesticides by flooding consultations and targeting key decision-makers. Let’s do it again now and finally call time on Facebook’s unchecked power.

 Take action now

Thanks for all that you do,
Olivia and the team at SumOfUs

More information:

Consultation on the Digital Services Act package European Commission, June 2, 2020
Facebook creates fact-checking exemption for climate deniers Heated, June 24, 2020

SumOfUs is a community of people from around the world committed to curbing the growing power of corporations. We want to buy from, work for and invest in companies that respect the environment, treat their workers well and respect democracy. And we’re not afraid to stand up to them when they don’t.

Please help keep SumOfUs strong by chipping in $3

Sent: Thursday, August 20, 2020 10:35 AM
Subject: Facebook