*[Enwl-eng] A Chernobyl in the Amazon

ENWLine

May 25, 2018, 12:40:13 PM5/25/18
to "ENWL-uni"
Justice is finally in sight for the indigenous who've suffered cancer and chaos after Chevron's Amazon Chernobyl toxic spills.
add your name

Indigenous families in Ecuador suffer cancer and death after oil giant Chevron dumped billions of deadly chemicals in the Amazon. But a vote in days could finally bring justice and set a global precedent to hold companies to account for their crimes, if we persuade just one more big investor to join. Sign now!
add your name
Dear friends,

Oil giant Chevron dumped billions of gallons of deadly chemicals in the Ecuadorian Amazon, leaving behind rivers full of poison, and toxic waste pits spreading cancer and death in indigenous communities.

But Chevrons cruel reign of impunity could finally end, if we persuade just one man to do the right thing.

One of Chevron's biggest investors is a US retirement fund: Vanguard. Its new chair has challenged corporate abuse before, and he alone could tip the balance in a historic vote for justice at Chevron's shareholder meeting in days!

Many US Avaazers are Vanguard customers, so we know he'll listen to us! Especially if we add a million more now, worldwide, urging him to do the right thing:

Join the Call for Justice for the Amazon's Chernobyl

The battle between Chevron and Ecuador’s indigenous people has been waged for decades, becoming a landmark case globally. Over 20 judges in Ecuador and Canada, including the Supreme Courts of both countries, have found Chevron guilty for dumping toxic waste in water that people drink!

A win against Chevron, which bought the oil company that trashed the Amazon and ran from its liabilities, could open a new era where major corporations are finally held accountable for their crimes.

That's where investor powerhouse Vanguard and its powerful chairman comes in. Vanguard owns a large share of Chevron, and has just recently voted against management on climate-related resolutions at ExxonMobil, criticising executive pay at Viacom and pushing big banks on gender diversity. With Chevron's shareholder meeting in days, over 30 major investors are already calling on the company to settle the case.

Vanguard Chairman Jim McNabb is a father of four who's spoken out against injustice before. Getting him on board could tip the balance toward a majority vote against Chevron’s recalcitrant management! Add your name now and we'll deliver our appeal directly to the chairman, right before the meeting

Join the Call for Justice for the Amazon's Chernobyl

Avaazers have campaigned against Chevron before, delivering letters to US senators, and filing legal briefings in court cases with partners. This is an incredible opportunity to get Chevron to finally clean up its toxic mess ... and open up a new era of investor-driven social change!

With hope and determination,

Joseph, Pascal, Anneke, Diego, Mojgone,
Emma, Ricken and the entire Avaaz team.

Shareholders Push New Chevron CEO For Answers on Ecuador
http://csrstrategygroup.com/shareholders-push-new-chevron-ceo-for-answers-on-ecuador/

In the Vanguard: Fund giants urge CEOs to be ‘Force for Good’
https://www.ft.com/content/a28203d8-067d-11e8-9650-9c0ad2d7c5b5

Investor Letter on Risks from Ecuador Litigation:
http://www.newground.net/Chevron-Investor-Letter-2018.pdf

Exxon Mobil loses support of a powerful voice in climate change policy
https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/31/investing-power-vanguard-votes-against-exxon-mobil-on-climate-change.html

Chevron’s “Amazon Chernobyl” in Ecuador: The Real Irrefutable Truths About the Company’s Toxic Dumping and Fraud (Huffington Post)
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/steven-donziger/chevrons-amazon-chernobyl_b_7435926.html

Avaaz is a 46-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2018 5:18 PM
Subject: A Chernobyl in the Amazon