*[Enwl-eng] Vaquitas on the brink

ENWLine

Apr 28, 2017, 9:45:06 AM4/28/17
to "ENWL-uni"

There are only 30 vaquitas left in the world! Only a permanent ban on the "gillnets" that kill them can save this beautiful species. The Mexican government is deciding what to do right now, and needs our support to stand up to the opposition. Let's back them to save the vaquitas! Sign the petition below with one click and share with everyone!
sign now
Dear Avaazers,

Vaquitas are cute, timid aquatic mammals that look like mini-dolphins -- and there’s only 30 of them left! But if we act fast, we can still stop this beautiful species from vanishing forever.

They're dying because they get trapped in "gillnets" and drown. But Mexico is considering banning these nets right now, and a key government official has agreed to deliver our call right into the highest government offices.

Together, we can tip the decision in favour of the vaquitas. Let's show the Ministers if they propose a permanent ban, they'll have a million of us right behind them. Sign the urgent petition below with one click and share it with everyone:

Click to save the vaquitas

To President of Mexico Peña Nieto, Environment Minister Rafael Pacchiano, and Fisheries Minister José Calzada:

As citizens from around the world horrified that vaquitas could vanish from the face of the earth, we urge you to establish and enforce an immediate, permanent ban on deadly gillnet fishing in Mexico. As there are only 30 vaquitas left, we call on you to do all you can to save this beautiful species from extinction before it’s too late.

Click to save the vaquitas

The vaquita, which means “little cow” in Spanish, is the world’s rarest marine mammal and the smallest cetacean in the world. It’s a wondrous and unique animal -- but it could be gone within months.

Fishermen could use other types of nets for fishing species like shrimp and corvina, but gillnets are the easiest option so many are fighting hard against a ban. Plus most fisherman who use deadly gillnets are fishing for totoaba -- an endangered species which is then illegally sold to China for huge profits.

If we act together now, we can save this beautiful species. Tell the Mexican government to pass a permanent ban and protect the vaquitas. Sign now and share with everyone. There is no time left:

Click to save the vaquitas

From the African savannas to the dense forests of Borneo, our community has funded undercover agents in poaching networks and bought land to save orangutans. We have worked for years to protect whales and pushed to secure the largest marine reserve in history, and now we have a unique opportunity to ensure that marine vaquitas survive.

With hope,

Caroline, Rewan, Diego, Ana Sofia, Allison, Bert, Emma and the whole Avaaz team

More information:

Before Vaquitas Vanish, a Desperate Bid to Save Them (New York Times)
https://www.nytimes.com/2017/02/27/science/vaquitas-dolphins-mexico-extinction.html?smtyp=cur&_r=0

The vulnerable vaquita: Immediate action needed to save critically endangered porpoise (National Geographic)
http://voices.nationalgeographic.com/2017/02/19/the-vulnerable-vaquita-immediate-action-needed-to-save-critically-endangered-porpoise/

Fish bladders, dolphin trackers, and human greed: The vaquita’s wild path to extinction (Fusion)
http://fusion.net/story/384948/vaquitas-wild-path-to-extinction/

Avaaz is a 44-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.
.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Thursday, April 27, 2017 10:57 PM
Subject: Vaquitas on the brink