*[Enwl-eng] Our strength: Independence

ENWLine

Aug 22, 2020, 1:15:22 PM8/22/20
to "ENWL-uni"

WeMove Europe doesn’t take money from big corporations, to make sure we can campaign against them when they do the wrong thing. Can you chip in, so we can build on our independence and stay strong?

Hi,

It’s a decision that many organisations have to make: whose money are we prepared to take? For a people-powered organisation like WeMove Europe, it’s a vital one. As our community grows more powerful, there’s more of a chance that we could come under pressure to drop a campaign when powerful people decide they don’t like it.

So, we needed to decide now, before we’re in that position. In the end, it was an easy one: we won’t take money from big business, no matter how much they offer us. That means we can keep on challenging the corporations that try to rig the European system in their own favour without risking our independence.

But turning down the money from big business isn’t without consequences. It means that if we want to keep on building a people-powered movement for Europe, donations from the WeMove community will be more and more important.

Can you chip in a few euros each month so we can keep on winning campaigns for a fair Europe in the future?

I’ll donate €7
I’ll donate €14
I’ll donate €21
I can’t donate monthly

WeMove knows how to keep our costs down. Long before coronavirus, most of our team worked from home, using straightforward technology to deliver our campaigns. Because we work online, we keep the costs of communicating with WeMove members very low.

But we can’t do it for free. Our staff need to be paid a salary, and we need to pay for the technology that we use to run the website.

We believe that’s worth every penny: in the last few months, WeMove members have spoken up for coronabonds in the COVID-19 recovery plan, and challenging abuses of refugees entering Europe. With just a little support, we can do incredible things together.

Can you chip in, so we can cover the essentials and plan ambitious campaigns in the year ahead?

I’ll donate €7
I’ll donate €14
I’ll donate €21
I can’t donate monthly

Thank you,

David (London), Jörg (Lübeck), Marta (Warsaw) and the entire WeMove Europe team

WeMove Europe is an independent and values-based organisation that seeks to build people power to transform Europe in the name of our community, future generations and the planet.

WeMove Europe SCE mbH | Planufer 91 Berlin | www.wemove.eu | Privacy policy

Sent: Friday, August 21, 2020 3:39 PM
Subject: Our strength: Independence