*[Enwl-eng] Next steps to end Europe's ivory trade

ENWLine

Mar 10, 2017, 6:08:30 PM3/10/17
to "ENWL-uni"
Thanks again for signing! We need to show the EU just how many of us are expecting them to act, so forward the email below to friends and family -- let's make this huge!

--------
Dear friends,

We're about to wipe elephants from the face of the Earth. It’s so bad, some are now being born without tusks -- an astonishing last throw of the evolutionary dice to survive human cruelty.

But for the first time ever China, the world's biggest ivory importer, has announced it’s banning ivory. Now, if enough of us demand it, we can get Europe, the world's biggest ivory exporter, to follow suit!

Last year we shone a light on Europe’s thriving ivory markets and stirred up a storm. Now momentum is building to shut them down. This is our moment! Join the urgent call and share this everywhere -- let’s make our call so massive, we help end ivory forever:

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/eu_ivory_loc2/?tUSymfb&v=500292424&cl=12105236571&_checksum=cd7d2f24906bc1ecda1a79a945726872aed75e7d64df6b3ddd38f74c661db571

Elephants are incredible -- they help each other in distress, can recognise death, and mourn over the bodies of their lost ones.Now it’s becoming unnatural selection by poaching! New research says in some African regions 98% of female elephants now have no tusks at all!

It’s clear the legal ivory market provides cover for the sale of illegal ivory and perpetuates elephant massacres. That's why China shutting down their vast market is a stunning ray of hope for the future of this species. And Europe's ivory exports make no sense. The EU has played a leading role in fighting poaching, and now China is moving, there are simply no excuses for Europe allowing ivory to be sold!

It’s time to demand Europe close its markets, and end all ivory trading. Europe is discussing this right now. Unless we speak out the ivory profiteers could have their way and keep this bloody trade open. Add your name and share this widely:

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/eu_ivory_loc2/?tUSymfb&v=500292424&cl=12105236571&_checksum=cd7d2f24906bc1ecda1a79a945726872aed75e7d64df6b3ddd38f74c661db571

Last year more than 1.5 million of us called on the world's largest conservation congress to pass a total ivory trade ban -- and they did it. Now it’s up to us to make sure our governments follow through, and give future generations a chance to experience the wonder of elephants.

With hope,

Marigona, Danny, Alice, Spyro, Bert and the rest of the Avaaz team

MORE INFORMATION:

China Bans Its Ivory Trade, Moving Against Elephant Poaching (NY Times)
https://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/30/world/asia/china-ivory-ban-elephants.html

EU set to ban raw ivory exports from July (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/feb/22/eu-set-to-ban-raw-ivory-exports-from-july-elephants-poaching

African elephants are being born without tusks due to poaching, researchers say (The Independent)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/elephants-africa-tusks-ivory-poaching-born-without-a7440706.html

Poaching behind worst African elephant losses in 25 years – IUCN report (IUCN)
https://www.iucn.org/news/poaching-behind-worst-african-elephant-losses-25-years-%E2%80%93-iucn-report

How World's Largest Legal Ivory Market Fuels Demand for Illegal Ivory (National Geographic)
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2015/10/legal-loopholes-fuel-ivory-smuggling-in-hong-kong/

Avaaz is a 44-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

unsubscribe.
To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).