*[Enwl-eng] Kill Coal

ENWLine

Oct 21, 2017, 4:54:48 PM10/21/17
to "ENWL-uni"

Coal kills almost a million people every year and devastates our climate, but we can shut it down once and for all. Major economies are on board and the pressure is building on Germany, a top 5 coal country. All that’s missing is a massive public push -- join the call now:
Sign Now

Coal kills almost a million people every year and devastates our climate, but we can shut it down once and for all. Major economies are on board and the pressure is building on Germany, a top 5 coal country. All that’s missing is a massive public push -- join the call now:
Sign Now
Dear friends,

Coal is THE worst energy source on the planet. It’s the single biggest contributor to climate change and it kills nearly a million people every year.

And right now we have a chance to shut it down once and for all.

A major climate summit starts in days. The UK and Canada have set final phase-out dates for coal and are trying to rally dozens of other countries to join. The real prize is Germany -- one of the biggest coal countries in the world, and the major domino for European climate decisions.

Everything is lined up -- the summit is in Germany, and climate champion Angela Merkel just won a new term as Chancellor. All that’s missing is a final public push -- so let’s deliver! When a million sign, Avaaz will deliver our names to the summit with a massive anti-coal march, then get right in the room and make it happen. Add your name:

Click to kill coal

Coal was the backbone of the industrial revolution, and for a time it served humanity well. Now we have other options like solar and wind power. Even burning gas has half the climate emissions of coal.

To keep our planet safe, we need to use 100% clean energy by 2050 and to phase out coal even sooner. The UK, Canada, the Netherlands and more are on track. Others, like Italy and Germany, are considering it. Still more, including Mexico, South Korea and New Zealand could ban coal too, but aren’t yet facing enough pressure to make it happen.

That’s where we come in. Massive pressure from Avaaz members around the world twinned with official lobbying in the run-up to next month’s conference could build a beautiful new world without coal. Add your name now.

Click to kill coal

This community moves the world. In our millions, we empowered leaders to sign the Paris climate deal. We’ve bought a rainforest and helped double the size of protected areas in our oceans. Let’s build a beautiful future together, with clear skies and a safe climate. Now, and for generations to come.

With hope and determination,

Danny, Meredith, Fatima, Nick, Sarah and the whole Avaaz team

Sources:

Canada aligning with U.K. to fight global growth in coal-fired electricity (CBC)
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/uk-canada-coal-mckenna-1.4351295

The war on coal is over. Coal lost. (Guardian)
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/climate-consensus-97-per-cent/2017/oct/16/the-war-on-coal-is-over-coal-lost

EU needs to shut all coal plants by 2030 to meet climate goals (DW)
http://www.dw.com/en/eu-needs-to-shut-all-coal-plants-by-2030-to-meet-climate-goals/a-37665345

Avaaz is a 44-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

unsubscribe.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at https://www.avaaz.org/en/contact/?footer or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Saturday, October 21, 2017 2:03 PM
Subject: Kill Coal