*[Enwl-eng] Urgent - before Trump goes nuclear

ENWLine

Jan 17, 2017, 10:57:13 AM1/17/17
to "ENWL-uni"

With one signature, Obama has the power to prevent Trump launching reckless nuclear war. But he has 4 days to do it -- and he might if he gets massive pressure from the whole world fast. Sign and share on Facebook, Twitter, everywhere:

sign the petition

Dear friends,

What’s the scariest thing about Trump?? He’s completely unpredictable, and if he decides to launch US nuclear weapons -- there’s nothing that can stop him

That’s cause once the President says “go”, there’s just 4 minutes til launch. It’s a crazy dangerous system that started in the Cold War and is totally unnecessary today -- which is why when Obama was elected he said it was dangerous and that he’d change it.

But if he doesn’t do it in the next 4 days, Obama turns our safety over to the whims of unstable Donald Trump. With just days left in office and competing priorities, he won't get around to it without massive global pressure. Respected politicians, government officials and military figures have already joined the call -- now if we get a petition in the millions and deliver it in Washington with a big splash, our community can put this issue at the top of the US news in his final week.

But we need to move FAST -- he needs to hear from everyone who could be in danger (which is…literally everyone!!!). Add your name and then share the page on Facebook, Twitter, everywhere

President Obama -- stop Trump going nuclear!

High alert lets the US President fire nuclear weapons at least 20 times more powerful than Hiroshima -- in a matter of minutes. It's subject to false alarms and human error, and once the President decides to launch, no one can stop it.

It's insane that anyone would do it, but with Trump in power we have every reason to worry. He's shown terrifying recklessness and lack of understanding when it comes to the nuclear issue, already asking a policy adviser why the US can't use nuclear weapons, and saying he'll take part in a nuclear "arms race"!

Obama can make the decision now with a stroke of his pen, and once Trump is in office it would be much more difficult for him to reverse it. It's such a no-brainer that a policy so dangerous and destructive needs to end. Add your name and share the page to help build an enormous global appeal -- there's just 4 days left for Obama to act:

President Obama -- stop Trump going nuclear!

Our community has shown up again and again to fight for a stable, peaceful world. Trump’s finger on the nuclear trigger threatens everything we’ve ever worked for. Let’s do what we can now to stop a Trump nuclear disaster.

With hope and determination,

Danny, Mais, Mia, Allison, Joseph, and the Avaaz team

More information:

Obama's last chance to reduce the risk of nuclear disaster (Politico)
http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/01/obama-last-chance-reduce-risk-nuclear-disaster-000267

'Total catastrophe': Experts say Donald Trump's position on nuclear proliferation would be a disaster (Business Insider)
http://www.businessinsider.com/experts-blast-donald-trumps-nuclear-proliferation-statements-2016-3

Does Donald Trump believe nuclear war is inevitable? (Mother Jones)
http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2016/12/donald-trump-nuclear-war-weapons-inevitable

Barack Obama urged to take nuclear weapons off high alert (Independent)
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/donald-trump-nuclear-weapons-barack-obama-urged-high-alert-a7513971.html

Obama's last chance to reduce the risk of nuclear disaster (Politico)
http://www.politico.com/agenda/story/2017/01/obama-last-chance-reduce-risk-nuclear-disaster-000267

Avaaz is a 44-million-person global campaign network
that works to ensure that the views and values of the world's people shape global decision-making. ("Avaaz" means "voice" or "song" in many languages.) Avaaz members live in every nation of the world; our team is spread across 18 countries on 6 continents and operates in 17 languages. Learn about some of Avaaz's biggest campaigns here, or follow us on Facebook or Twitter.

.

To contact Avaaz, please do not reply to this email. Instead, write to us at www.avaaz.org/en/contact or call us at +1-888-922-8229 (US).

Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 2:50 AM
Subject: Urgent - before Trump goes nuclear