ENSIME (M)ELPA package available for tests.

rajish

Aug 15, 2013, 8:07:41 PM8/15/13
to ens...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I've recently came across this tweet and decided to take action. I've created the ENSIME organization on GitHub, and forked what's necessary to it. I've made Aemon an admin, so he's in charge of everything there.

If you want to test the pre-release MELPA package please checkout the ensime/melpa repository and call make recipes/ensime
Then in Emacs call M-x package-install-file <RET> path/to/melpa/repo/packages/ensime-XXXX.xxx.tar
Please report all package-related issues on the ensime/ensime project as this is not the same thing as it's source (which is located in the ensime-src dir.)
There can be problems to run the M-x ensime command right after installation, so please don't report it as a bug until restart Emacs and try again.

@Aemon,
This is still your project and you're in charge. I don't want to steal it from you. ENSIME is great and want it make even greater so that I could stay away from Eclipse, Idea, and younameit as long as possible.
I would really appreciate if you created the pull request to the MELPA project as the original author so they would have no doubts accepting it.

Cheers,
Radek

Aemon Cannon

Aug 19, 2013, 7:14:16 PM8/19/13
to ens...@googlegroups.com
Hi Radek,

Sorry for the slow response and thanks for keeping me in the loop. I'd be happy to make the pull request, once this has been tested. I'll try to give it a try soon.

Aemon

Sep 4, 2013, 4:26:45 PM9/4/13
to ens...@googlegroups.com
Just an update that I plan on testing this out soon. Had a look at the organization on github and it looks really great. The logo is cute : )
Thanks for all your work!

On Thu, Aug 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM, wrote:
[...]

rajish

Sep 4, 2013, 7:05:04 PM9/4/13
to ens...@googlegroups.com
Right now I'm trying to wrap the regression tests into `ecukes` script. This is hard, as the ideas seem to be quite incompatible. Also I'm not an elisp champion (yet).

The first scenario "Run ENSIME regression tests" is commented out because it crashes with some illegible (to me) backtrace.
Then I started rewriting one of the tests to ecukes to check if it's gonna fly, but that's a lot of redundant work because those tests are already written. The problem is how to connect the asynchronous suites with asynchronous steps in ecukes. The first attempt (see the commented out scenario) failed.

Guys, please help. I have time to work only at nights, and it's going to take ages before Typesafe will take Emacs+Ensime to their stack if I'm left alone ;)

Aemon

Sep 6, 2013, 12:35:40 PM9/6/13
to ens...@googlegroups.com
Honestly, I don't think what you're talking about is worth the effort. We should separate out 'fast', synchronous tests and run those via ecukes if that's something we want.
My guess is integrating the slow, asynchronous integration tests would be more effort than it's worth. But hey, maybe you already figured it out : )

rajish

Oct 8, 2013, 7:21:08 AM10/8/13
to ens...@googlegroups.com
Aemon,

I think we've waited enough. No serious issues arose when using the packaged version, so please submit the pull request to MELPA and let the party begin!

Cheers
Radek

Aemon Cannon

Oct 8, 2013, 10:08:59 AM10/8/13
to ens...@googlegroups.com
Great!

rajish

Oct 31, 2013, 6:20:05 AM10/31/13
to ens...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

I'd like you to know that Ensime got merged into MELPA recipes and soon will be available for install using M-x package-install RET ensime or from the packages list, provided that you added
MELPA to the packages archives list. Here is mine snippet from my .emacs:

(setq package-archives '(("gnu" . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
                         ("marmalade" . "http://marmalade-repo.org/packages/")
                         ("melpa" . "http://melpa.milkbox.net/packages/")))

And here is the link to the pull request that got us started in the wild.

Good luck and have fun,
Radek

Aemon Cannon

Oct 31, 2013, 8:54:23 AM10/31/13
to ens...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for all you work on this, Radek!  : )