Phillips family group 12

don phillips

Jun 24, 2013, 10:05:09 PM6/24/13
to ENC_Phillips families
I'm new to the list. I am a member of the relatively small Phillips family group 12. Several
members of group 12 have ancestors in a few of East and Middle Tennessee Counties and
some trace their families back to NC.

My proven ancestors stem from John Phillips (b.c. 1815 NC) married Rhoda Elmore (b.c.
1825 TN). John was my GG grandfather.

The 1830 census for Jefferson County Tennessee lists a John Phillips ( b 1770 - 1780),
Jonothan Phillips (b 1790 - 1800), and Jeremiah Phillips (b. 1790 - 1800) as having males in
the 10 - 15 year old range in their households.
My guess is that Jeremiah Phillips was my GG grandfather's father.

That choice is based only on the fact that Jeremiah's family is close
to the Elmore family in census records and that my GG grandfather named his second son
Jeremiah.

There were two John Phillips listed in the 1850 census for nearby Grainger
County, both are listed as having been born in Virginia and married to women named
Elizabeth. The older of the two was listed as 77 years old and the younger as 45. A john
Phillips married Elizabeth Cluck in 1827 in Jefferson County. The younger John had a son
named Elbert, the same as my G grandfather.

Incidentally, although his grandfather was born
in North Carolina, my grandfather told me that the family came originally from Virginia.

I would appreciate any information that would help sort this out.
Additional information for the
interested follows:
Children of John Phillips and Roda (or Rhoda) Elmore
Wilburn
Jerimiah b 1844 TN
John W. b 1846 TN
James b 1848
Hulda Cordelia b 1857 TN
Mary R. b 1861 TN
Aaron b 1861 TN d 8 March, 1948 in Cleveland Ohio
Albert b 1863 (1870 census)
Elbert b. 1865
Calaway b 1868
Evalyn b 1869 (1870 Census)
(Press or Preston? note in Carrie Mae Strange Phillips' bible - also 1860 census listed `
a P. age 7)
(William? note in Carrie Mae Strange Phillips' bible) - Probably John W (William) -listed
as William in 1850 census.
John's youngest son Elbert was my G grandfather (1865 - 1933) -Jefferson County, TN) who
married Martha Deliala Henry (1873 - 1944)
Children of Elbert and Martha
Daughters
Daisy Evelyn Phillips (born 1901) married Luther Carl Strange;
Cordelia,
Dealie,
Anne or Annie,
Rhoda,
Ollia Lee ( One daughter was known as Lee)
Sons
Claiborne William ( thought to have been orginally William Claiborne - but 1900
Census lists him as Claiborne) Born November 1, 1898, died May 23, 1985
Curtis,
Perry,
Calvin, b. ,died July 20, 1938
James,
John
Claiborne Phillips was my grandfather. He Married Carrie May Strange ( 29 May, 1898, died
April 1982)
Don Phillips

Nancy Kiser

Jun 26, 2013, 3:45:31 PM6/26/13
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com
Hi, Don,

I can't explain how your John Phillips ties into Group 12, but I was looking at some research I did back in 2008 and thought it would be a good idea to post it to this list.

The two earliest known ancestors in Group 12 are Samuel Phillips who was supposedly born about 1760 in Anson Co NC and Solomon Phillips who was supposedly born about 1770 in Richmond County, NC.  Anson County and Richmond County border one another on the southern border of NC.

I suspect Solomon was the son of James Phillips who died in Richmond County NC between 1785 and 1788.  This James Phillips left a will recorded in Will Book 1 at page 20.  Here is an abstract of it:

Wife: Mary
Sons: James, Joel, Solomon, Lambin,
Daughters: Sarah, Priscilla/Prisillah, Esther/Easter; Gosford/Gisford, Ann; Bulla/Bullah, Mary; Almond, Elizabeth; Huse, Rebecca.

As you can see, James did not mention a son named Samuel, which is one reason I do not think Samuel and Solomon were brothers.  I think it is more likely they were cousins.

Note: there was a James Phillips who married a Sarah Lambden 26 Dec 1743 in Queen Annes Co MD.  I think this is the James Phillips who died in Richmond Co NC, because he mentioned a son named Lambin in his will.  I think wife Mary mentioned in the will must have been James' second wife.

Another note from my files indicates there was a Samuel Phillips who died in Anson County NC around 1795.  He mentioned a wife named Alise and sons named Benjamin, William, Nathan, George and James.  I have not seen his will, but the abstract did not mention a son named Samuel.  However, it should be noted that the name Nathan or Nathaniel also occurs in Group 12.

I suspect the father of Samuel Phillips who died in Anson County around 1795 was another Samuel Phillips born around 1700 who married Elizabeth Manardo Brooks in Cecil Co MD on 19 March 1724.  I further suspect Samuel Phillips bc 1700 was the son of Nathan Phillips who died in Cecil Co MD in 1748, mentioning his son Samuel in his will.

I don't know how all these people fit together, but I suspect the founding father for Group 12 will turn out to be Nathan Phillips of Cecil County MD who was probably born around 1682/83.  He may have been the original immigrant.

Nancy Kiser
Volunteer administrator
Phillips DNA Project

Jun 29, 2013, 3:05:15 PM6/29/13
to ENCPhilli...@googlegroups.com, ENC_Phillips families
Nancy:

Thanks for the informative reply.  Your research is a blessing to all of us trying to puzzle out our ancestry.

Don