A quick Hello

W. Phillips Carpenter

Jun 24, 2011, 11:11:04 PM6/24/11
to Early NC Phillips Families
Hello All!
I've been out of the loop for quite some time as I got frustrated with
the whole lineage search, but I wanted to renew my research and wasn't
quite sure where to begin anew.

For those of you who do not know, I am a direct descendant of Dennis
"Peg leg" Phillips. My Grandfather confirmed this information before
his death, so I am absolutely sure of it. (My Dad carries this family
name in honor of him).

I am sure much has been discovered since my last search, and I would
LOVE to be brought back into the genealogy "loop", as it were.

Anyone care to give me some updates as to where the Thomas m. Hannah
research has gone?

Regards,

Wendy Phillips Carpenter

P.s. Would a larger marker test on my brother's results still be
needed?

Tom Hutchison

Jun 26, 2011, 11:08:15 AM6/26/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Hi Wendy

Welcome back, best to just jump in and start reviewing what you know and think of new avenues to explore.

There has been some new tests done off of the Thomas who m. Hannah line.

Kit number 135799

1.  Thomas Phillips bc 1760 Craven Co NC, d 1814 Franklin Co GA, m Hannah Weathington
2.  Wiley Phillips b 28 Apr 1797 Lenoir Co NC, m Nancy Gober
3.  William C Phillips b 16 Feb 1824 Franklin Co GA, m Mary Frances Bond (brother of your Dennis)
4.  John Frank Phillips b 16 March 1863 Franklin Co GA, m Mary F. James
5.  William Oscar Phillips b 30 Apr 1888 Franklin Co GA, m Jessie McConnel

Kit number 199488

1.  Dennis Phillips b 19 April 1791 Dobbs Co NC, m Mary "Polly" Sewell
2.  Dewrant/Duran Jackson Phillips bc 1820 Franklin Co GA, m Elizabeth Payne or Miller
3.  Dennis Nelson Phillips bc 1843 Franklin Co GA, m Mary Blare/Blair Payne
4.  James Columbus Phillips b 15 June 1871 Franklin Co GA, m 1) Ellen Scarborough, m 2) Minnie Jane James
5.  Walter L. Phillips b 5 May 1898 Franklin Co GA, m Ethel Annie Darnell

One is an older test and I believe they are on this list. As you can see they come down Dennis Weber's brother William's line, sons of Wiley b. 1797. There is another newer match and I have emailed with them from Wiley, b. 1797, older brother Dennis, b. 1791.

As far as the actual parents of Thomas, bc 1760 there is still no concrete evidence. Tons of circumstantial, but no smoking gun. Personally, I believe if the Bond family was investigated more, there could be a tie back to Craven Co., NC. At this time it I still believe that Thomas was the younger brother of my Maj. James Phillips and both were the sons of Thomas Phillips who d. 1792 in Craven Co, m. to ??? Which I believe is the current train of thought unless proven otherwise with a document or new found bible record. I did run across some new evidence to prove Maj James Phillips was the son of Thomas. His daughter Argin Phillips who m. a Sessions listed her father in their family bible as James Phillips, the son of Thomas Phillips, was b. 14 Aug 1759.

If you go back and search the past posts of this group, you’ll see there was some court documents that lead one to believe the Phillips, Bonds and Fish men ran in the same circles in Craven. I know the Bond family shows up in Franklin Co., GA too.

I don’t really think it is necessary to up the marker test. We know your Phillips line is definitely related and part of Group 5.

Tom

Wendy Phillips

Jun 26, 2011, 5:41:54 PM6/26/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
My Great Grandfather's (son of Dennis W.) name was Lemuel Thomas Phillips and was called (LT) by alot of people. Not sure if the name Lemuel means much to you, but it was my understanding that the Weathington's had some Lemuels interspersed in?
Let me know what you think.

Tom Hutchison

Jun 27, 2011, 9:05:29 AM6/27/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
I don’t know as much about the W’tons as I would like. I know when my Great Grandfather passed away, one of the women who came to help with my Grandfather’s younger brother and two sisters was married to a W’ton. They were a descendant of the W’ton family of Craven who went to Valdosta. Which also happens to be where my GG Grandfather went from Jasper Co., GA. I’m guessing they knew they were related, almost positive they knew they were related as this W’ton family was the next town over, but was close to my Phillips line. I think my Grandfather was too young to know why they were friends and saw them so much.

I think Wiley was a W’ton name too. Cleverly definitely was. The fact that Thomas who m. Hannah named a daughter Kizah, Kessiah or whatever spelling has been passed down or interpreted from the docs too co-incidental not to be the son of Thomas who d. 1792. Kessiah was named in his Will of 1792 as a daughter.

I really don’t know much about the Lemuel name. Never in my line of Phillips.

Tom
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to mailto:ENCPhillipsFamilies%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com.

Wendy Phillips

Jun 27, 2011, 1:12:44 PM6/27/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
I just have to wonder if studying that line (W'ton) would answer some of these questions as to who our Thomas' father was?? Just a thought.

I live here in NC (Rowan County) and the name Weathington is not even a name I had heard before I started working on our family tree, which tells me if they lived here, they must've all moved out together. I'd be willing to go to the courthouse and do some research here, but I have to know what to look for and at this point, I wouldn't even know where to begin. I know that alot of the records we need were in Craven County, and were burned.

Thoughts?

DAVID BROWN

Jun 27, 2011, 1:57:01 PM6/27/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Wendy,

I'm pasting some info below that will hopefully help on the early Weatheringtons (they moved to North Carolina from Maryland).   My 6th great-grandfather John Rice and John Weatherington married sisters who were daughters of John Carruthers and Sarah Jones.   John Carruthers was a merchant in New Bern.   The interesting mystery that we've not yet resolved is that John Weatherington (as you will see, there are various spellings of this surname) was a half-brother to Benjamin Rice who died in 1745/1746 in Beaufort Co., NC, yet we know of no relationship between this Benjamin Rice and my ancestor John Rice.

Anyway, hopefully the information below may be useful (I believe others in this group have already seen this or are probably aware of it).

Thanks.

David Brown

Benjamin Rice Will in Beaufort:
Riceso...@aol.com wrote:   Rice, Benjamin, Beaufort County, NC September 12, 1745, June Court, 1746. Sons: Zebulon, Benjamin, James, Even, Claverly, Ephrim, Hezekiah, Gideon. Wife and Executrix: Mary.  Witnesses: James Humes, Nathaniel Draper, Thomas William. Clerk of the Court:  John Forbes.

Benjamin Rice was a son of Evan Rice per the following:

Riceso...@aol.com wrote:   In essence, the Maryland Genealogical Society Bulletin article concludes that Rbt Widd/'ton's wife Elizabeth was a Cleverly b 1660-1678 (Recall, Mike first, & supported by the rest of us, had concluded that Robt Widd md Eliz Dare, not a Cleverly). Eliz was a sister of Mrs Mary Dare & Mrs Amy Battson, having first md Evan Rice ~ 1694 (d bef Feb 1702), by whom she had a son Benjamin Rice (we recall Benjamin Rice from the Robt Widd will)   After son Benjamin, she md Robt Widdrington (yrs1702-1706, b by 1681, w/whom she had 5 children.

Will of Robert Widdrington:

Riceso...@aol.com wrote (as quoted from Barry Wetherington):  DOCUMENT: WILL of ROBERT WIDDRINGTON of Christ's Church Parish, planter, Calvert County, Maryland. Written 20 August 1722, probated 10 November 1722:

SONS: Solomon and John at age of 19 (when reaching adulthood)
DAUGHTER: Dorcas "in care of Mr. Walter Smith of St. Leonards"
 DAUGHTER: Mary "in care of her Aunt Mrs. Mary Dare".
 DAUGHTER: Elizabeth, wife of Henry Easterling

Also mentions Benjamin Rice. Appointed Henry Easterling as guardian of sons Solomon and John. Witnessed by John Dickinson. William Rutledge and Henry Constable.

Riceso...@aol.com Will of John Carruthers of Beaufort Co., NC:

EXCERPT OF JOHN CARRUTHERS WILL (1751), Craven Co., NC

I, John Carruthers, of the County of Craven, and Province of North Carolina, merchant, ...I Give and Bequeath unto my Daughter, Rocksolannah Witherinton, one lott of Land lying in Newbern town, and joining Pollocks Street and Eding Street...

Item. I Give and Bequeath to my daughter, Frances Hodges, ... and the Francis Hodges Cow Pen, unto her, the sd. Frances Hodges...

Item. I Give and Bequeath unto my son, John Carruthers...
Item. I Give and Bequeath unto my Son, Joseph Carruthers...
Item. I Give and Bequeath to my daughter, Sarah Rice...
Item. I Give and Bequeath unto my two Sons in law, Francis Hodges and John Witherinton...
Item. I Give and Bequeath unto my well beloved Wife, Content Carruthers...

Item. My will and Desire is that ... the Remandar of money may be Equaly devided between my three Sons, William Carruthers, John Carruthers, and Joseph Carruthers, and my daughter, Sarah Rice, and if my son William Carruthers shuld not be at the devision of the money, I desire his Part of the money may continue in the hands of my Executors till he, the foresd. William Carruthers, cums for it.
. . . .

John Carruthers (Seal) Sarah Betsworth (mark) Abiah Bangs Sol. Rew

Here we have mention of Sarah Rice, wife of John Rice, from Craven County Historical Society Researcher:

Victor Jones Writes:  Ive looked through several Court and Deed abstracts that we have here in our library. The 1769 inventory (from Craven County Deed Book 16, page 312 and following and abstracted in Bruce Pruitts Abstracts of Craven County Deeds, Books 14-19, page 45) is actually a mortgage in which John Rice is mortgaging his property and (his father) Gov. Nathaniel Rice's estate to pay debts to several individuals. Of note is the first parcel of property which mentions the property is subject to a deed to Peter Starkey. This deed to Peter Starkey is also a mortgage (Craven Deed Book 12/13, page 380 ff., abstracted in Pruitt, Abstracts of Books 11-13, p. 71).

The reason I mention the Peter Starkey connection, is there is a court case in the New Bern District Superior Court Minutes for November 1772, "Sarah RICE a[gainst] Peter STARKEY: Same Jury as in the last Cause being impannelled and sworn do say that the [sic] John RICE the Husband of the Plaintiff was Seized inpremises." [Weynette P. Haun, New Bern District, North Carolina, Superior Court Minutes, Book 1: 1768-1788, p. 36.]

And, the opinion of another Carruthers family researcher:

Anno...@aol.com wrote:  As you do, I have always believed that Sarah Carruthers mar. John  Rice, based on the fact that he was not only a witness to most of the (Carruthers) family's deeds but was security for them many times, including Joseph Carruthers' bonds when he was appointed Sheriff and for John Carruthers' bond when he moved for Letters of Administration on Est. of Joseph Wharton, dec., as greatest creditor at the Sept. 1748 court.  This last bond was for £2,000 and John Carruthers (Sr.?) and John Rice were securities.  I would think it would take a very close relative or a very good friend to be security for that amount.  Joseph Wharton was the one who sold land to William Tunaclift, father of Jane, second wife of John Carruthers, Jr.  Later John Carruthers sold land back to the children of Joseph Wharton.  Alice Wharton, one of the daughters, mar. John Starkey, Jr., son of Peter Starkey, Sr., brother of John Starkey, Esq.

Martha Marble

Jun 27, 2011, 4:37:30 PM6/27/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
I am out of this right now, but Lemuel is not a name I have ever seen associated with any of the branches of the W/ton families in the Craven/Lenoir area.  As Tom said, Cleverly and Wiley were.

Martha
Tom

Martha Marble

Jun 27, 2011, 4:40:33 PM6/27/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
It is generally thought, but not proven that Thomas Jr may have been the father of Thomas who md Hannah.  He was a neighbor of Cleverly W'ton.  There was probably one more Thomas around that time than we can fit with the grandsons of Thomas an Isabelle.

Martha

Wendy Phillips

Jun 29, 2011, 3:04:05 AM6/29/11
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
Thank you all for the information. I will be reading through this tomorrow and I'll see if anything rings a bell.
Thanks again!
Wendy