Early Craven/Lenoir Phillips land

Martha Marble

Nov 9, 2010, 8:10:36 AM11/9/10
to encphilli...@googlegroups.com
The First Annual John Lawson Expedition will be this weekend and I am looking forward to it.  Some of you are really into the history of this area so thought some of you might be interested in this map.  Here in New Bern we have heard a lot about John Lawson this year as we have celebrated the 300th Anniversary of New Bern.  The 300th for Craven County will be in 2012 as well as the 250th of Kinston in Lenoir Co.

The first white man that we know of to explore NC was John Lawson in 1709 whose book on his travels is in existence today.  He finally made his home here in NB where the Neuse and the Trent Rivers meet.  He lost his life to the Indians slightly NW of what is today Snow Hill in Greene Co. Since his partner, Baron Christopher de Graffenried (who settled NB), was released, there has been a lot of speculation as to why Lawson, a real friend of the Indians, was killed.  Lawson traveled up Contentnea Creek several times.  The Phillips family of Craven/Lenoir settled on Contentnea Creek 30 some years after Lawson first traveled up the creek - hence the interest to some of us.  From the map attached you can get a feel of where the first land patents were for the Phillips.  From what I have seen most of their land was not adj to the Creek but just south of it on Eagle Swamp but we do know at least some of it was on the creek which would offer them quick transportation to NB.  The best I can tell the Phillips land was probably directly below Blount Hall on the SS of the creek.  We will be going to some of the Indian Mounds on Sat but I am not sure which ones.  It is ironic that at least one of them is on land owned by a first cousin who is also a Phillips des on his father's side of the family - a fact he does not know or care about.

We hope to get some good pictures and maybe upload them to Old Dobbers at some point.

Martha
THE_TUSCARORA_INDIA_WAR.pdf
EXPEDITION SITES copy.jpg