Feedback request: usage of "EmbulkEmbed" and "EmbulkService" / "BINARY" type

Dai Mikurube

Oct 10, 2018, 10:56:42 PM10/10/18
to embulk-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Embulk users,

Sorry for the long silent interval. Embulk v0.9.8 is out yesterday with some fixes. We are going to start updating the Embulk core again.

Then, for future updates, we'd like to have your feedbacks on two topics about your Embulk usage.

1. Usage of "EmbulkEmbed" and "EmbulkService"

Embulk has a way to be embedded in your Java program by classes of "EmbulkEmbed" and "EmbulkService". We expect most users are using Embulk from CLI, but some users may be using these "EmbulkEmbed" or "EmbulkService".

We may have a big change on them for future updates. "EmbulkService" has been deprecated for a long time. "EmbulkEmbed" may be incompatibly changed (or replaced) as well.

Note that CLI won't change for this.

If you use "EmbulkEmbed" or "EmbulkService" in your environment, please let us know in this GitHub Issue. Otherwise, their compatibility can be broken suddenly!

2. "BINARY" type

There has been a discussion whether we need a new "BINARY" type, or not. At first we thought to introduce the BINARY type, but very few people wanted it when we asked in a meetup with 100+ people.

If you really want the BINARY type, please elaborate your use-cases in the GitHub Issue.

Thanks.

Dai Mikurube

Dec 27, 2018, 8:01:04 PM12/27/18
to embulk-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Embulk users,

As mentioned in the previous e-mail, we are going to change the usage of EmbulkEmbed and EmbulkService. EmbulkEmbed users, please check the following list, stay tuned on next announcements, and take care when you are upgrading embulk-core versions. (All the following changes will not affect Embulk CLI usage. Then, I believe most users are not affected.)

1. Remove EmbulkServce

org.embulk.EmbulkService will be removed soon. Users need to switch to org.embulk.EmbulkEmbed.

2. Drop support for JSR-250 LifeCycle annotations (@PostConstruct and @PreDestroy)

As mentioned in https://github.com/embulk/embulk/issues/1047, we are going to drop support for @PostConstruct and @PreDestroy. If you're using them, please leave your comments in https://github.com/embulk/embulk/issues/1047. EmbulkEmbed#destroy() will be unsupported as well.

Embulk v0.9.12 shows warning messages for use of @PostConstruct and @PreDestroy before actual drop. If you're concerned, please try Embulk v0.9.12.

3. Change the usage of SLF4J Logger and LoggerFactory

Logback (SLF4J backend) has been included in embulk-core's dependencies, Logback has been configured in the beginning of EmbulkEmbed. Those will be changed.

EmbulkEmbed users will have to include and configure some SLF4J backend library by themselves.

4. Change the way to load dependency libraries from embulk-core

Dependency libraries of embulk-core are currently to be located in CLASSPATH, and to be loaded simultaneously with embulk-core. But this way exposes these libraries to plugins, and it has caused complicated dependency problems with plugins.

We are going to change the way to load dependency libraries. EmbulkEmbed users will have to call Embulk's static method to specify paths to those dependency libraries before initializing EmbulkEmbed.