Hiring Elm developers at Prezi

Laszlo Pandy

Jan 22, 2014, 1:04:05 PM1/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com

TL;DR   Now is the time to join Prezi if you want to be part of the first team to release Elm code to 30+ million users.

Less than a year ago, Prezi hired Evan to work on Elm so that one day in the future we would have a type-safe way to write web applications without the pain of event listeners. I thought it would take more than a year, but 8 months later we have all the pieces in place to start releasing projects written in Elm.

We know that we won’t ever be able to write all of Prezi in Elm even if we wanted to (we don’t). But since our application is always getting bigger, we started using a component model for our JavaScript code. This inspired Evan to release ports in 0.11, and we already implemented a prototype plugin for Prezi’s build system to make it easy to use an Elm component from JavaScript in a familiar way.

Now we are looking for a clever developer to make Elm the language of choice for new JavaScript components at Prezi. This is someone who likes functional programming but loves making graphical web apps even more.

You will:

  • Write UI components in Elm

  • Work alongside Evan to define new libraries and Elm graphics APIs

  • Build reusable UI widgets in Elm (ie. buttons, menus, sidebars, etc.)

  • Teach designers how to update styles and shapes in Elm code

  • Improve our Gradle build tools to make building and integrating Elm components easier

  • Use your knowledge of functional programming to write clean TypeScript code when something cannot be done with Elm

  • Convince other people in Prezi how comfortable it is to develop for the web in Elm

  • Speak at meetups and make Elm known outside the company

Prezi is a polyglot company. Across our frontend and backend teams, we use at least 13 different programming languages. In a single team you can expect to see 2 or 3 languages used for different tasks. We want you to help us make Elm one of the most important ones.

If you are interested, please email me directly or apply to the Compile-to-JS position on our jobs page:

Cody Goodman

Jan 26, 2014, 1:09:03 AM1/26/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Right about now I wish I could replace my python experience with javascript experience. This sounds like a very fun job!

Laszlo Pandy

Jan 26, 2014, 5:03:00 PM1/26/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey Cody, it doesn't say anywhere that you need JavaScript experience. We are looking for clever people who would love to make web apps. If you are willing to learn, you will fit right in at Prezi!

Cody Goodman

Jan 26, 2014, 5:13:57 PM1/26/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Well in that case I'll be sure to send in a resume!

Martin DeMello

Jan 26, 2014, 5:19:55 PM1/26/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
that's awesome :) i keep trying to convince people i know who make hiring decisions that "hit the ground running" is a false economy, but few of them want to listen.

martin

On Sun, Jan 26, 2014 at 2:03 PM, Laszlo Pandy <laszlo...@prezi.com> wrote:
Hey Cody, it doesn't say anywhere that you need JavaScript experience. We are looking for clever people who would love to make web apps. If you are willing to learn, you will fit right in at Prezi!

Frankie Sardo

Mar 25, 2014, 1:50:49 PM3/25/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
I think regarding the reusable widget strategy what has been done with OM in Clojurescript is a fantastic implementation so far. I thought you guys could be interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMtwq3QtddY

Ketan Shukla

Oct 4, 2017, 10:19:43 AM10/4/17
to Elm Discuss
I'm seeing this post after 3 years lol ... is it too late to apply? I would really like to move on a project where I'm not directly coding HTML CSS or JS. When I saw how you can use Elm to replace these, I took interest in the language.