Unkown flag: --runtime (Error)

Zach O'Donnell

May 21, 2014, 11:47:50 PM5/21/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
When trying to compile and see the tut code I just get this in the server and the browser is complexity blank. Anyone know whats going on?

Max Goldstein

May 21, 2014, 11:48:53 PM5/21/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
cabal update ; cabal install elm-server

Zach O'Donnell

May 21, 2014, 11:51:09 PM5/21/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
I am running this on windows so how exactly do I go about doing that? sorry

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:48 PM, Max Goldstein <maxgol...@gmail.com> wrote:
cabal update ; cabal install elm-server

Max Goldstein

May 21, 2014, 11:52:37 PM5/21/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Oh, did you use the installer? Evan will probably have to repackage it with the fix he made to fix this.

Zach O'Donnell

May 21, 2014, 11:53:53 PM5/21/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
yes I did is there a manual way to do it so that I can get it working?

Max Goldstein

May 21, 2014, 11:59:59 PM5/21/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Possibly, but I'm not a windows developer so I can't say for sure. You can try running the cabal commands in the windows command line and the worst that can happen is it won't work.

Zach O'Donnell

May 22, 2014, 12:15:54 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
It looks like it is working thank you man. Who are you? Do you work for them?

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 11:59 PM, Max Goldstein <maxgol...@gmail.com> wrote:
Possibly, but I'm not a windows developer so I can't say for sure. You can try running the cabal commands in the windows command line and the worst that can happen is it won't work.

Evan Czaplicki

May 22, 2014, 12:19:10 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Bah, sorry about that! I'll repackage the Windows installer tonight and ping this thread when it is up.

I'd say that trying it through cabal is more trouble than it's work because you'll have to worry about which elm-server comes earlier on your PATH. I'll just fix the installer.

On Wed, May 21, 2014 at 8:59 PM, Max Goldstein <maxgol...@gmail.com> wrote:
Possibly, but I'm not a windows developer so I can't say for sure. You can try running the cabal commands in the windows command line and the worst that can happen is it won't work.

Zach O'Donnell

May 22, 2014, 12:34:35 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Ok thank you I tried to do it through cabal and it still didn't work. Thanks

Evan Czaplicki

May 22, 2014, 12:52:28 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Okay, the fixed version should be uploaded!

Zach O'Donnell

May 22, 2014, 1:01:29 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
When trying to compile my test.elm
"elm: ELM_HOME: getEnv: does not exist (no environment variable)"

Evan Czaplicki

May 22, 2014, 1:12:31 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Did you get any of the cabal stuff installed? You probably don't want both, but I don't think that's the issue here.

What happens when you run the compiler directly on the file? Something like this:

elm MyFile.elm

I suspect it'll give the same message? You probably need to set the ELM_HOME environment variable to to C:/Program Files/Elm Platform/0.12.3/share

Search around for how to set environment variables on whatever version of windows you happen to have. Let me know how this goes!

Zach O'Donnell

May 22, 2014, 1:20:25 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
I did the cabal thing before. Uninstalled Elm and re-installed with the new one you put up. And I just made an environment variable for that. It still comes up as the same thing

Evan Czaplicki

May 22, 2014, 1:27:03 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Can you tell me what your OS is exactly? Can you show the specific error you are getting now and under what circumstances it happens? Are you using a cmd window that was open before you set the ELM_HOME environment variable? Try closing it and opening it again to make sure it's not looking at old stuff.

If it is easy, can we switch to an issue on github? Don't bother if you don't have an account.

Evan Czaplicki

May 22, 2014, 1:29:14 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
It's also possible that you have two versions of things on your PATH since you did some cabal stuff. It would be helpful if you can tell me exactly what you did and did not install with that approach. Windows does not appear to have a "which" command like unix, but if there's a way to figure out the path to the executables you are running, that'd be really helpful.

Zach O'Donnell

May 22, 2014, 1:32:14 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
I am using windows 8 (not .1) it is the exact same error " elm.exe: ELM_HOME: getEnv: does not exist (no environment variable) "
And yes I have restarted it many times and no I have restarted cmd. And yes I will move over there

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 1:27 AM, Evan Czaplicki <eva...@gmail.com> wrote:
Can you tell me what your OS is exactly? Can you show the specific error you are getting now and under what circumstances it happens? Are you using a cmd window that was open before you set the ELM_HOME environment variable? Try closing it and opening it again to make sure it's not looking at old stuff.

If it is easy, can we switch to an issue on github? Don't bother if you don't have an account.

Max Goldstein

May 22, 2014, 8:58:44 AM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Couldn't find your GH thread, but to answer your question, no I don't work for Prezi or anything, I just happened to see your post and remembered the GH issue on it. Happy I could help in some capacity.

Zach O'Donnell

May 22, 2014, 4:24:17 PM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Hey I just went on my desktop and tried this out and it works. I guess it needed a restart or something.. even though I had tried that earlier. Haha thank you for all the help!

On Thu, May 22, 2014 at 8:58 AM, Max Goldstein <maxgol...@gmail.com> wrote:
Couldn't find your GH thread, but to answer your question, no I don't work for Prezi or anything, I just happened to see your post and remembered the GH issue on it. Happy I could help in some capacity.

Evan Czaplicki

May 22, 2014, 5:19:48 PM5/22/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com
Awesome, glad it finally works! :D

Slobodan Blazeski

Jul 31, 2014, 3:06:43 PM7/31/14
to elm-d...@googlegroups.com

Same problem here.
I can confirm adding   ELM_HOME environment variable with value C:/Program Files/Elm Platform/0.12.3/share as working solution

Slobodan