Feature contribution: course shifts

zim...@ya.ru

Dec 11, 2017, 2:33:14 PM12/11/17
to General Open edX discussion
Hello!
We (https://openedu.ru) have implemented new feature for OpenEdX, that allows to shift start and due dates in course based on CourseUserGroups. Something like lightweight course runs, but at the same course run actually. More detailed description and code are available here: https://github.com/miptliot/course_shifts
We are interested in contributing to OpenEdx. While most of the code is contained in this package, there are still some necessary changes in edx-platform to use it, especially in UI.
On the one hand, feature is already used in one of our minor OpenEdx projects in testing mode. On the other one it is still very raw and we would like to discuss it's improvement and integration with somebody from OpenEdx team.
Thanks!

Ned Batchelder

Dec 12, 2017, 3:25:54 PM12/12/17
to edx-...@googlegroups.com
Boris,

Thanks, this looks really interesting.  For a significant feature like this, it's important to have a discussion with the product people first.  A good way to start would be to make a page on the wiki with your design: https://openedx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/OpenDev/pages/162120960/Draft+Technical+Designs, or open a pull request against edx-platform with a detailed description of the feature you're proposing.

Thanks,

--Ned.

Boris Zimka

Dec 15, 2017, 7:01:49 PM12/15/17
to General Open edX discussion
Ned,
I have created more detailed description of the feature: https://openedx.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/OpenDev/pages/415662305/Course+shifts+feature+proposition+and+discussion
Looking forward to feedback and critics both for feature and page!
Also grammar and language mistakes fixes are very welcome, sorry for them.

Boris Zimka