Cannot block comments from banned users or delete replies to comments

Keith Collantine

Feb 8, 2012, 5:52:02 AM2/8/12
to echo...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I'm having two problems with my Echo set-up:

1. Comments continue to appear from users who have been banned.
2. Cannot delete replies to comments

Obviously this renders spam prevention practically impossible so I am very keen to solve these problems.

I have looked at other posts from users with similar problems* and edited my queries accordingly but so far have had no success. Here's what I'm using (URL edited out):

scope:(URL) -user.state:ModeratorBanned state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged sortOrder:reverseChronological itemsPerPage:6

childrenof:(URL) -user.state:ModeratorBanned -state:Untouched,ModeratorApproved,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged sortOrder:reverseChronological itemsPerPage:6

If you want to inspect the page in question you can find it here (though only until the end of today): http://bit.ly/zY2bOF

Can anyone see what's wrong?

Thanks,

KC

-----

*In these threads:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/echoworks/delete$20replies/echoworks/8LTd3VqF5vg/DJGuftMvIdoJ
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/echoworks/ban$20user/echoworks/WiHg9NzhTSw/QqQX91gcua4J

Igor Lebedew

Feb 8, 2012, 6:33:48 AM2/8/12
to Keith Collantine, echo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

On 2012-02-08 at 14:52 Keith Collantine <keithco...@googlemail.com> wrote :

Hi,

I'm having two problems with my Echo set-up:

1. Comments continue to appear from users who have been banned.
2. Cannot delete replies to comments

Obviously this renders spam prevention practically impossible so I am very keen to solve these problems.

I have looked at other posts from users with similar problems* and edited my queries accordingly but so far have had no success. Here's what I'm using (URL edited out):

scope:(URL) -user.state:ModeratorBanned state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged sortOrder:reverseChronological itemsPerPage:6

childrenof:(URL) -user.state:ModeratorBanned -state:Untouched,ModeratorApproved,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged sortOrder:reverseChronological itemsPerPage:6

The reason why you still see the deleted replies to comments is the omitted conditions for children items.

Any search query may contain 2 parts:
- conditions for selecting root nodes
- conditions to filter children items (replies) - this part can be optional and it's omitted in your queries

These parts are separated using the "children" predicate:
[%ROOT PART%] children [%CHILDREN PART%]

In your query there is no condition to filter out the children nodes:
[%ROOT PART%] in your query is: -user.state:ModeratorBanned state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged

In order to apply the filters to the children, please modify the query as shown below:
scope:(URL) -user.state:ModeratorBanned state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged children -user.state:ModeratorBanned state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged sortOrder:reverseChronological itemsPerPage:6

In this case both conditions will filter out the necessary items:
[%ROOT PART%] is: -user.state:ModeratorBanned state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged
[%CHILDREN PART%] is: -user.state:ModeratorBanned state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged

Hope this addresses your issue, please let us know.

Thank you.

If you want to inspect the page in question you can find it here (though only until the end of today): http://bit.ly/zY2bOF

Can anyone see what's wrong?

Thanks,

KC

-----

*In these threads:

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/echoworks/delete$20replies/echoworks/8LTd3VqF5vg/DJGuftMvIdoJ
https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/echoworks/ban$20user/echoworks/WiHg9NzhTSw/QqQX91gcua4J

Sincerely yours,
Igor Lebedew,
Echo Team
(GMT +4)

Keith Collantine

Feb 8, 2012, 6:40:18 AM2/8/12
to echo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Igor,

Thanks very much for the quick reply!

So am I right in saying that with the filter you've posted I only need to use one query instead of two?

And will this also prevent banned users' comments from appearing?

Keith

Igor Lebedew

Feb 8, 2012, 6:47:26 AM2/8/12

On 2012-02-08 at 15:40 Keith Collantine <keithco...@googlemail.com> wrote :

Hi Igor,

Thanks very much for the quick reply!

So am I right in saying that with the filter you've posted I only need to use one query instead of two?

That's correct.

And will this also prevent banned users' comments from appearing?

If both ROOT/CHILDREN parts contain the "-user.state:ModeratorBanned" parameter, it will prevent banned users' comments from appearing.

Thank you.

Keith

Keith Collantine

Feb 8, 2012, 7:48:56 AM2/8/12
to echo...@googlegroups.com
OK I'm trying out the changes now - will report back. Thanks again!

Keith Collantine

Feb 8, 2012, 9:46:46 AM2/8/12
to echo...@googlegroups.com
I've just tried to delete a reply to a comment but I'm afraid it it hasn't worked.

On the page where I am logged in as a moderator the comment is now highlighted in red and marked "Deleted by Moderator". However if I view the page without logging in I can still see the comment, and others users can too because they're replying to it.

I added the code by going to 'curate' and replacing the existing query under 'saved queries'. I've just checked the code there, this is what it says:

scope:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/f1-live/f1-fanatic-live-2012-f1-testing-day-jerez-2/ -user.state:ModeratorBanned state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged children -user.state:ModeratorBanned state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged sortOrder:reverseChronological itemsPerPage:6

Igor Lebedew

Feb 8, 2012, 1:42:18 PM2/8/12
to Keith Collantine, echo...@googlegroups.com
Hi Keith,

I've checked the http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/f1-live/f1-fanatic-live-2012-f1-testing-day-jerez-2/ page and found out that it contains the following query:
childrenof:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/f1-live/f1-fanatic-live-2012-f1-testing-day-jerez-2/ sortOrder:reverseChronological -state:ModeratorDeleted itemsPerPage:6

So, the query still doesn't have conditions to filter children items (replies).
Here is the correct version:
childrenof:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/f1-live/f1-fanatic-live-2012-f1-testing-day-jerez-2/ sortOrder:reverseChronological -state:ModeratorDeleted children -state:ModeratorDeleted itemsPerPage:6

Thank you.

Keith Collantine

Mar 1, 2012, 5:30:47 AM3/1/12
to echo...@googlegroups.com, Keith Collantine, Igor Lebedew
Hi Igor,

Thanks for your continued help.

I wasn't sure how to add the code you suggested - here's the query I've got in there now in full:

scope:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/f1-live/f1-fanatic-live-2012-f1-testing-day-circuit-de-catalunya-5/ -user.state:ModeratorBanned,ModeratorDeleted state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged children -user.state:ModeratorBanned,ModeratorDeleted state:Untouched,CommunityFlagged,ModeratorFlagged,SystemFlagged sortOrder:reverseChronological itemsPerPage:6

childrenof:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/f1-live/f1-fanatic-live-2012-f1-testing-day-jerez-2/ sortOrder:reverseChronological -state:ModeratorDeleted children -state:ModeratorDeleted itemsPerPage:6

However it still seems that banned users are able to post replies and when those replies are deleted they are still visible to other users. Have I not added the code correctly?

Here's the current page where that code is being used (today):

http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/f1-live/f1-fanatic-live-2012-f1-testing-day-circuit-de-catalunya-5/

Thanks,

Keith

On Wednesday, 8 February 2012 18:42:18 UTC, Igor Lebedew wrote:
Hi Keith,

On Wednesday, 8 February 2012 18:42:18 UTC, Igor Lebedew wrote:
Hi Keith,

Igor Lebedew

Mar 1, 2012, 5:48:18 AM3/1/12

On 2012-03-01 at 14:30 Keith Collantine <keithco...@googlemail.com> wrote :

Hi Igor,

[...]

See, the second query "childrenof:..." doesn't contain the "-user.state:ModeratorBanned,ModeratorDeleted" filtering parameter, but the first one contains it.
You need to correct the second query "childrenof:..." in the following way:

childrenof:http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/f1-information/f1-live/f1-fanatic-live-2012-f1-testing-day-jerez-2/ sortOrder:reverseChronological -user.state:ModeratorBanned,ModeratorDeleted -state:ModeratorDeleted children -user.state:ModeratorBanned,ModeratorDeleted -state:ModeratorDeleted itemsPerPage:6

Also, I do not see any changes in your JS code at http://www.f1fanatic.co.uk/js/f1fanaticlive/init_echo.js:

The "query_stream" variable should be:

var query_stream = "childrenof:" + query_url + " sortOrder:reverseChronological -user.state:ModeratorBanned,ModeratorDeleted -state:ModeratorDeleted children -user.state:ModeratorBanned,ModeratorDeleted -state:ModeratorDeleted itemsPerPage:6";

--
Sincerely yours,
Igor Lebedew,

Hi Keith,

Keith Collantine

Mar 1, 2012, 6:43:34 AM3/1/12
to echo...@googlegroups.com, Keith Collantine, Igor Lebedew
Hi Igor,

Ah, this looks a bit more promising - I didn't realise I had to make the changes in init_echo.js as well.

I'll give this a test, looks good so far.

Thanks again for your help and being so patient with someone whose knowledge of this is very basic!

Keith

Hi Keith,