The future of FEST-Swing.

Alex Ruiz

Sep 10, 2012, 3:45:46 AM9/10/12
to easytesting
Greetings,

A few months ago I made the decision to not develop FEST-Swing anymore. FEST-Swing was (and still is) my favorite module but I was the only maintainer and I really don't have the time and energy to continue working on it.

The good news is that Yvonne volunteered to take care of it. We are going to start development pretty soon (in a month or so).

One of the first things to do is to update FEST-Swing to Java 7. Objections anyone? please let us know.

Cheers,
-Alex

Glen

Sep 12, 2012, 5:56:37 PM9/12/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Great to hear that development isn't going to stop.  My only objection would be if the next version wasn't updated for Java 7 :)

Alex Ruiz

Sep 12, 2012, 6:04:43 PM9/12/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Glen. Any particular reason that prevents you from using Java 7?

Cheers,
-Alex

Glen

Sep 12, 2012, 6:21:41 PM9/12/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
We're running into some slowness, I thought I had it tracked down to a custom event queue (used primarily to handle uncaught exceptions on the EDT) but I think there is something else going on as well.  I'll post more once I track it down.

Our project is currently running J6 with a boatload of Fest tests.  The goal is to upgrade to J7 and run headless with caciocavallo.  I end up with extra failures that I'm trying to determine where the fault lies (fest, cacio, j7 or (very likely) our code)

Alex Ruiz

Sep 12, 2012, 6:40:29 PM9/12/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Glen. We'll still time to decide whether or not moving to J7 is good for our users. We need time to catch up with the current state of the code base first.

Please let us know if there is anything we can do from our side to help.

Cheers,
-Alex

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msg/easytesting/-/8O5fpVIe-B4J.

Martin

Sep 13, 2012, 1:58:55 PM9/13/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Go Yvonne!  We cannot use FEST on OS X under Java 7.  Already filed a bug, anxiously waiting for a solution.

Thanks guys!

Alex Ruiz

Sep 13, 2012, 11:24:22 PM9/13/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Martin,

Did you file a bug against Java 7 or FEST?

Cheers!
-Alex

Martin

Sep 14, 2012, 8:28:40 PM9/14/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com

Glen

Sep 19, 2012, 5:17:16 PM9/19/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alex,

I have a test case for our custom event queue.  I'm not sure why this is causing grief in J7 and only with the custom queue.  It seems to get hung up on this line:
while (eventQueue.peekEvent() != null)
with the peekEvent returning an InvocationEvent caused by a timer blinking the caret in the textfield.

I'm just wondering what process you'd like me to take. Post it here in this group, create a jira at  http://jira.codehaus.org/browse/FEST or at github at https://github.com/alexruiz/fest-swing-1.x/issues

Thanks,
Glen

Yvonne Wang

Sep 27, 2012, 12:54:27 AM9/27/12
to easyt...@googlegroups.com
Hi Glen,

I'm so sorry for the delayed response. Please file a ticket in github.

Many thanks! :)

Cheers,
-Alex
> https://groups.google.com/d/msg/easytesting/-/CPbXguc3whQJ.