Final (final!) voting round for new name for East Bay DIYbio

Patrik D'haeseleer

May 17, 2013, 6:26:00 PM5/17/13
to East Bay DIYbio
Hi all!

The name survey we ran last week didn't come up with a clear winner, so at the working meeting on Wednesday we decide to do one final winner-takes-all voting round, with just the top 5 names

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/68LSZK9
  • Counter Culture Labs (no conflicts)
  • The People's Laboratory (@plab and @peopleslab exist)
  • East Bay Community Research Laboratory (no conflicts)
  • Metaphase Institute (@metaphase exists, but no tweets. Use @metaphaseinst, @metaphaseinstitute)
  • East Bay BioLab (http://www.baybiolab.com exists. Use eastbaybiolab.com or .org instead)

Patrik

Marc Juul

May 17, 2013, 6:48:37 PM5/17/13
to Patrik D'haeseleer, East Bay DIYbio
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 3:26 PM, Patrik D'haeseleer <pat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi all!

The name survey we ran last week didn't come up with a clear winner, so at the working meeting on Wednesday we decide to do one final winner-takes-all voting round, with just the top 5 names

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/68LSZK9

Shouldn't those be check boxes so you can vote for more than one?

--
Marc

Benjamin Lack

May 17, 2013, 6:50:27 PM5/17/13
to Marc Juul, East Bay DIYbio, Patrik D'haeseleer

I think the idea is if you had to pick one,  what would be your top.

Marc Juul

May 17, 2013, 7:45:40 PM5/17/13
to Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio, Patrik D'haeseleer
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 3:50 PM, Benjamin Lack <ben...@gmail.com> wrote:

I think the idea is if you had to pick one,  what would be your top.

Yes, but that is an inferior method of finding the result that most people will be happy with, as Patrick D is well aware. So I'm wondering if this was intentional and if so, why.

--
Marc

Patrik D'haeseleer

May 17, 2013, 7:54:39 PM5/17/13
to Marc Juul, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio
We ran the previous survey with approval voting (checkboxes), but the top 5 were within one vote of each other. So now we're trying to do a tie-breaker vote by forcing people to vote for their single favorite out of these.

In other words, these are already the top 5 preferred names out of our initial set of ~90, but there seems to be little difference in how many people approve of these five. So we figured it makes sense to give more weight to what names people feels strongest about.

Patrik

Marc Juul

May 17, 2013, 9:23:24 PM5/17/13
to Patrik D'haeseleer, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio
Thanks for explaining. I guess that makes sense. Maybe having two votes each would have been a bit better, but I guess that's note easily implemented.

I had a thought: If we end up going with Counter Culture Lab, we could play with Lewis dot structures as part of the logo. Here's a first attempt.
cclogo.png

Nina DiPrimio

May 17, 2013, 9:32:05 PM5/17/13
to Marc Juul, Patrik D'haeseleer, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio
That logo is great!

Nina DiPrimio, PhD
Anderson Lab
Department of Bioengineering
UC Berkeley

Lab Phone- 510-664-4200

Patrik D'haeseleer

May 18, 2013, 3:37:58 AM5/18/13
to Marc Juul, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio

Heh - wonder how many people will get that. Which is totally fine with me. :-)

For a different visual pun, we could also go with a Petri dish ("culture") inside a counter-clockwise arrow. Something like this:
Inline image 1

image.png

Ron Shigeta

May 18, 2013, 10:56:09 AM5/18/13
to Patrik D'haeseleer, Marc Juul, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio
I like this one - the green colonies are great

May 18, 2013, 11:22:34 AM5/18/13
to Ron Shigeta, Patrik D'haeseleer, Marc Juul, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio
image.png

Nina DiPrimio

May 18, 2013, 2:15:19 PM5/18/13
to Ryan Bethencourt, Ron Shigeta, Patrik D'haeseleer, Marc Juul, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio
or something like this?

Inline image 1

image.png
image.png

Naomi Most

May 19, 2013, 12:08:24 PM5/19/13
to Patrik D'haeseleer, Marc Juul, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio
Oh that is NICE.  I actually really disliked "Counter Culture Labs" until seeing this.

image.png

Ethan Oren Perlstein

May 19, 2013, 12:09:26 PM5/19/13
to pna...@gmail.com, Patrik D'haeseleer, Marc Juul, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio
+1

Sent from my iPhone

On Sat, May 18, 2013 at 12:37 AM, Patrik D'haeseleer <pat...@gmail.com> wrote:

Heh - wonder how many people will get that. Which is totally fine with me. :-)

For a different visual pun, we could also go with a Petri dish ("culture") inside a counter-clockwise arrow. Something like this:
<image.png>

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 6:23 PM, Marc Juul <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:54 PM, Patrik D'haeseleer <pat...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 4:45 PM, Marc Juul <mar...@gmail.com> wrote:
[...]

Ryan Bethencourt

May 20, 2013, 12:12:02 AM5/20/13
to Ethan Oren Perlstein, pna...@gmail.com, Patrik D'haeseleer, Marc Juul, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio
Hi Patrik, are we at a final tally for the votes? It seems like there's a lean towards counter culture labs?

All the best,
Ryan

Patrik D'haeseleer

May 21, 2013, 1:37:30 PM5/21/13
to Ryan Bethencourt, Ethan Oren Perlstein, pna...@gmail.com, Marc Juul, Benjamin Lack, East Bay DIYbio
Update on the name survey:

With 15 votes in, we *still* have a 3-way tie! Grr...

4 votes each for:
Counter Culture Labs
Metaphase Institute
East Bay Biolab

Plus 3 votes for East Bay Community Research Laboratory, and zero votes for the People's Laboratory (likely because I discovered belatedly that @peopleslab already exists on twitter).

Any final votes, anyone? Alternatively, if anybody wants to change their existing vote just to break the tie, just post so here.

Patrik

Ron Shigeta

May 21, 2013, 2:04:53 PM5/21/13
to East DIYbio
could be a good time to repost the survey link...?

could be a good time to repost the survey link...?

It would be, wouldn't it? :-D

Patrik

Ron Shigeta

May 21, 2013, 3:11:29 PM5/21/13
to East DIYbio
thanks patrik - i hadn't voted this round!

May 21, 2013, 11:03:58 PM5/21/13
to Ron Shigeta, East DIYbio
Well - looks like East Bay Biolab rallied in the final hours!

22 votes total, with 8 for East Bay Biolab, and 6 for Counter Culture Labs as a distant second.

Going once... going twice...

Benjamin Lack

May 21, 2013, 11:14:52 PM5/21/13
to Patrik D'haeseleer, East Bay DIYbio, Ron Shigeta

Me gusta

Rolf W

May 22, 2013, 3:57:03 AM5/22/13
to east-ba...@googlegroups.com

Three great looking logos for Counter Culture Labs... that certainly tells you something.

BTW, I just voted.  (hopefully not too late)

-rolf

Patrik D'haeseleer

May 24, 2013, 10:31:33 PM5/24/13
to East DIYbio
We were going to settle on a name once and for all in today's working meeting and... Counter Culture Labs and East Bay DIYbio are neck and neck again!

Ahnon and I would like to switch out vote from Metaphase Institute to Counter Culture Labs, which would give it 10 votes, to 8 for EB Biolab.

If anyone feels passionately *against* Counter Culture Lab, speak up now! We wouldn't mind having more discussion on this, but I personally would mind dragging this out any further...

One factor in favor of CCL is the logos we've been coming up with. Factors against East Bay Biolab are that it's a rather bland name and mot much better than East Bay DIYbio. Also, we had discussed making the space open to other non-bio citizen science, so some of us would prefer not to explicitly have "bio" in the title.

Patrik

Ryan Bethencourt

May 25, 2013, 2:05:36 PM5/25/13
to east-ba...@googlegroups.com
Hey Patrik,

In the absence of any disagreement, are we all in agreement that we are now Counter Culture Labs? If so... Hurrah :)

All the best,
Ryan

Patrik D'haeseleer

May 26, 2013, 1:11:58 AM5/26/13
to Ryan Bethencourt, East Bay DIYbio
Counter Culture Labs it is!

We actually got one more vote for it on the poll as well, So if we add Ahnon and my vote, Counter Culture Labs is actually ahead by 3 votes.

One issue I hadn't anticipated is that although @CounterCultureLabs is not already taken, Twitter only seems to use the first 15 characters, and @CountureCultureL *is* taken. And so are @CounterCulture and @CCLab.

@CultLabs is taken as well - Ahnon seemed to like that one. @CoCultLabs is available though. I rather like that last one because it evokes co-cultivation, which is a nice positive connotation to balance the more negative counter-culture.

Any suggestions?

Patrik

Patrik D'haeseleer

May 26, 2013, 4:58:20 AM5/26/13
to Ron Shigeta, East Bay DIYbio
I reserved @CountrCultrLabs on twitter. Interestingly, it seems like you can change your user name on twitter - didn't know that. So I figured I might as well reserve the name, since we can still change it anyway. Of course that also means we could just have changed over the existing @EastBay_DIYBio account. Ah well.

Patrik

On Sat, May 25, 2013 at 10:45 PM, Ron Shigeta <rtsh...@yahoo.com> wrote:
cool - its a good name!

for twitter - find other expendible vowels?

@CountrCulturLab ?

May 26, 2013, 11:03:48 AM5/26/13
to Patrik D'haeseleer, Ron Shigeta, East Bay DIYbio
Great Patrik!

We might as well post to both tags: @EastBay_DIYBio and @countrculturlabs. We can also change our Facebook name as well. We can work this week to reach out to groups and people through this media and invite them to our general meeting. Speaking of general meeting, did we decide where this month's meeting will be held?

Hope everyone had a great weekend :)

Mary Ward
Bachelor of Science