Fwd: Simulation Could Explain Why People Reject Smarter Economic Policy

Frank de Jong

Nov 23, 2016, 7:35:32 PM11/23/16
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Sign up to this if you're not already.  Frank de J

Nov 24, 2016, 9:25:11 AM11/24/16
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com
We are getting there.........hope people would buy into it.

brendan hennigan

Nov 24, 2016, 10:39:07 AM11/24/16
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com

https://www.eab.com/daily-briefing/2016/11/14/pop-up-courses-where-students-learn-history-as-it-unfolds?WT.mc_id=Email%7CDaily+Briefing+Headline%7CDBA%7CDB%7CNov-14-2016%7C&elq_cid=1779608&x_id=003C000001pL0VYIA0

Frank et al,

Starting in the spring 2017 the Henry George Foundation of Canada will be conducting several book launches and mini conferences to promote the ideas expressed in Henry George's Progress and Poverty.  Our plan is to hold conferences in Barrie, Ottawa, Toronto, Ontario, St. John's,Newfoundland, Halifax and Vancouver.   It is not a historical retrospective, but a grassroots initiative to address today's economic and social woes.  The aim is to discuss and lobby for economic policies that are based on social and economic justice.  Why don't we create a pop-up course on George's "economics of abundance" that will show how Georgist principles can lead the way in solving the problem of economic inequality in our communities.

Brendan

President, Henry George Foundation of Canada

Nov 24, 2016, 10:49:40 AM11/24/16
to Earthsharing Canada Google Group
Though the answer is already pretty obvious (self interest of the privileged), it will be an interesting study of it can demonstrate this. However, the simulation could be distorted if conducted using only a student group since young people of that age tend to be more idealistic and altruistic and less selfish and so may opt for sharing rather than maintaining monopoly. I shall anticipate the results of the study with interest.

I have forwarded the newsletter to Trish Hennessy, the director of the Canadian Center for Policy Alternatives, Ontario Branch (C.C.P.A. Ontario). I have interested her in L.V.T. before and hope that I can encourage her to learn more about it. I think she could be a great advocate if she is once convinced of its benefits.

Dave Johnson

Erich Jacoby-Hawkins

Nov 24, 2016, 1:38:22 PM11/24/16
to earthshar...@googlegroups.com

 "The citizenry will be composed of 100 students of business, economics, and engineering."

Not to cast aspersions, but judging from the biz, econ, and eng students I have known personally, I would not worry that this group is too altruistic or not selfish enough to represent the general public. Possibly more idealistic but that alone may not skew things.

Erich.